Christopher Wildrick Woods
Professor of Medicine
1. Emerging Infections
2. Global Health
3. Epidemiology of infectious diseases
4. Clinical microbiology and diagnostics
5. Bioterrorism Preparedness
6. Surveillance for communicable diseases
7. Antimicrobial resistance
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Medicine
- Associate Director of Duke Center for Applied Genomics and Precision Medicine
- Research Professor of Global Health
- Professor in Pathology
- Office Location: 310 Trent Drive, Duke Box #90519, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 668-7174
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Duke University, 2002
- Duke University, 2000
- Duke University, 1997
- M.D. Duke University, 1994
- ENVIRON 774: One Health: From Philosophy to Practice
- GLHLTH 393: Research Independent Study in Global Health
- GLHLTH 573D: One Health: From Philosophy to Practice
- GLHLTH 771: One Health: From Philosophy to Practice
In the News
- Duke Institute Tapped to Test Preventive Antibodies for COVID-19 (Aug 20, 2020 | Duke Health News)
- 1,300 Sign Up to Participate in MURDOCK COVID-19 Prevalence and Immunity Study (Aug 6, 2020 | Duke Clinical & Translational Science Institute)
- Duke Experts Address Coronavirus Testing Issues (Apr 21, 2020)
- A Quick Mobilization on COVID-19 Research at Duke (Mar 18, 2020)
- Covering Zika: the Challenges of Reporting on a New Disease (Apr 14, 2016)
- Journalists To Discuss Challenges Of Covering Zika (Apr 11, 2016)
- More Investment Needed to Face Biosecurity Risks (Mar 28, 2016 | Duke Campaign Stop 2016)
- Do you need antibiotics? A new test may tell (Jan 21, 2016 | CBS News)
- A blood test may soon tell if you really need antibiotics (Jan 21, 2016 | TIME)
- Diagnostic developers target antibiotic resistance (Oct 20, 2015 | Nature)
- Bacterial or Viral? Diagnostic Tool May Help Doctors Track Infection Source (Oct 11, 2015)
- Liberian Alum Working in Home Country Reflects on Duke Global Health Training (Feb 4, 2015)
- DGHI Experts Brief US Congressional Staff on Ebola (Oct 6, 2014)
- Duke Experts Brief Community on the Origin and Risks of Ebola (Sep 24, 2014)
- Duke University hosts Ebola events (Sep 22, 2014 | The News & Observer)
- Duke to Hold Weeklong Series of Events on Ebola Epidemic (Sep 18, 2014)
- Kutty, PK; Benoit, SR; Woods, CW; Sena, AC; Naggie, S; Frederick, J; Engemann, J; Evans, S; Pien, BC; Banerjee, SN; Engel, J; McDonald, LC, Assessment of Clostridium difficile-associated disease surveillance definitions, North Carolina, 2005., Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol 29 no. 3 (2008), pp. 197-202 [10.1086/528813] [abs].
- Bressler, AM; Kaye, KS; LiPuma, JJ; Alexander, BD; Moore, CM; Reller, LB; Woods, CW, Risk factors for Burkholderia cepacia complex bacteremia among intensive care unit patients without cystic fibrosis: a case-control study., Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, vol 28 no. 8 (2007), pp. 951-958 [10.1086/519177] [abs].
- Breitschwerdt, EB; Maggi, RG; Duncan, AW; Nicholson, WL; Hegarty, BC; Woods, CW, Bartonella species in blood of immunocompetent persons with animal and arthropod contact., Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol 13 no. 6 (2007), pp. 938-941 [10.3201/eid1306.061337] [abs].
- Pien, BC; Mirrett, S; Crews, BR; Reller, LB; Woods, CW, Controlled clinical comparison of BacT/ALERT standard aerobic and standard anaerobic blood culture bottles inoculated directly or after transport in sodium polyanethol sulfonate tubes., Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol 45 no. 4 (2007), pp. 1357-1359 [10.1128/JCM.02091-06] [abs].
- Woods, CW; Murdoch, DR; Zimmerman, MD; Glover, WA; Basnyat, B; Wolf, L; Belbase, RH; Reller, LB, Emergence of Salmonella enterica serotype Paratyphi A as a major cause of enteric fever in Kathmandu, Nepal., Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol 100 no. 11 (2006), pp. 1063-1067 [10.1016/j.trstmh.2005.12.011] [abs].
- Brooks, R; Woods, CW; Benjamin, DK; Rosenstein, NE, Increased case-fatality rate associated with outbreaks of Neisseria meningitidis infection, compared with sporadic meningococcal disease, in the United States, 1994-2002., Clinical Infectious Diseases : an Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, vol 43 no. 1 (2006), pp. 49-54 [10.1086/504804] [abs].
- Basnyat, B; Belbase, RH; Zimmerman, MD; Woods, CW; Reller, LB; Murdoch, DR, Clinical features of scrub typhus., Clinical Infectious Diseases : an Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, vol 42 no. 10 (2006), pp. 1505-1506 [10.1086/503680] [abs].
- Pien, BC; Saah, JR; Miller, SE; Woods, CW, Use of sentinel laboratories by clinicians to evaluate potential bioterrorism and emerging infections., Clinical Infectious Diseases : an Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, vol 42 no. 9 (2006), pp. 1311-1324 [10.1086/503260] [abs].
- Whitney, EAS; Heilpern, KL; Woods, CW; Bahn, CC; Franko, EA; Del Rio, C; Silk, BJ; Ratcliff, JJ; Bryant, KA; Park, MM; Watkins, SJ; Caram, LB; Blumberg, HM; Berkelman, RL, West Nile virus among hospitalized, febrile patients: a case for expanding diagnostic testing., Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases (Larchmont, N.Y.), vol 6 no. 1 (2006), pp. 42-49 [10.1089/vbz.2006.6.42] [abs].
- Chu, VH; Sexton, DJ; Cabell, CH; Reller, LB; Pappas, PA; Singh, RK; Fowler, VG; Corey, GR; Aksoy, O; Woods, CW, Repeat infective endocarditis: differentiating relapse from reinfection., Clinical Infectious Diseases : an Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, vol 41 no. 3 (2005), pp. 406-409 [10.1086/431590] [abs].
- Turner, JW; Pien, BC; Ardoin, SA; Anderson, AM; Shieh, WJ; Zaki, SR; Bhatnagar, J; Guarner, J; Howell, DN; Woods, CW, A man with chest pain and glomerulonephritis., Lancet, vol 365 no. 9476 (2005) [10.1016/S0140-6736(05)66701-3] [abs].
- Petti, CA; Woods, CW; Reller, LB, Streptococcus pneumoniae antigen test using positive blood culture bottles as an alternative method to diagnose pneumococcal bacteremia., Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol 43 no. 5 (2005), pp. 2510-2512 [10.1128/JCM.43.5.2510-2512.2005] [abs].
- Fowler, VG; Justice, A; Moore, C; Benjamin, DK; Woods, CW; Campbell, S; Reller, LB; Corey, GR; Day, NPJ; Peacock, SJ, Risk factors for hematogenous complications of intravascular catheter-associated Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia., Clinical Infectious Diseases : an Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, vol 40 no. 5 (2005), pp. 695-703 [10.1086/427806] [abs].
- Joyce, M; Woods, CW, Antibacterial susceptibility testing in the clinical laboratory., Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, vol 18 no. 3 (2004), pp. 401-vii [10.1016/j.idc.2004.04.001] [abs].
- Murdoch, DR; Woods, CW; Zimmerman, MD; Dull, PM; Belbase, RH; Keenan, AJ; Scott, RM; Basnyat, B; Archibald, LK; Reller, LB, The etiology of febrile illness in adults presenting to Patan hospital in Kathmandu, Nepal., The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol 70 no. 6 (2004), pp. 670-675 [abs].
- Woods, CW; Bressler, AM; LiPuma, JJ; Alexander, BD; Clements, DA; Weber, DJ; Moore, CM; Reller, LB; Kaye, KS, Virulence associated with outbreak-related strains of Burkholderia cepacia complex among a cohort of patients with bacteremia., Clinical Infectious Diseases : an Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, vol 38 no. 9 (2004), pp. 1243-1250 [10.1086/383313] [abs].
- Bajani, MD; Ashford, DA; Bragg, SL; Woods, CW; Aye, T; Spiegel, RA; Plikaytis, BD; Perkins, BA; Phelan, M; Levett, PN; Weyant, RS, Evaluation of four commercially available rapid serologic tests for diagnosis of leptospirosis., Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol 41 no. 2 (2003), pp. 803-809 [10.1128/jcm.41.2.803-809.2003] [abs].
- Morgan, J; Bornstein, SL; Karpati, AM; Bruce, M; Bolin, CA; Austin, CC; Woods, CW; Lingappa, J; Langkop, C; Davis, B; Graham, DR; Proctor, M; Ashford, DA; Bajani, M; Bragg, SL; Shutt, K; Perkins, BA; Tappero, JW; Leptospirosis Working Group,, Outbreak of leptospirosis among triathlon participants and community residents in Springfield, Illinois, 1998., Clinical Infectious Diseases : an Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, vol 34 no. 12 (2002), pp. 1593-1599 [10.1086/340615] [abs].
- Hajjeh, RA; Relman, D; Cieslak, PR; Sofair, AN; Passaro, D; Flood, J; Johnson, J; Hacker, JK; Shieh, W-J; Hendry, RM; Nikkari, S; Ladd-Wilson, S; Hadler, J; Rainbow, J; Tappero, JW; Woods, CW; Conn, L; Reagan, S; Zaki, S; Perkins, BA, Surveillance for unexplained deaths and critical illnesses due to possibly infectious causes, United States, 1995-1998., Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol 8 no. 2 (2002), pp. 145-153 [10.3201/eid0802.010165] [abs].
- Woods, CW; Karpati, AM; Grein, T; McCarthy, N; Gaturuku, P; Muchiri, E; Dunster, L; Henderson, A; Khan, AS; Swanepoel, R; Bonmarin, I; Martin, L; Mann, P; Smoak, BL; Ryan, M; Ksiazek, TG; Arthur, RR; Ndikuyeze, A; Agata, NN; Peters, CJ; World Health Organization Hemorrhagic Fever Task Force,, An outbreak of Rift Valley fever in Northeastern Kenya, 1997-98., Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol 8 no. 2 (2002), pp. 138-144 [10.3201/eid0802.010023] [abs].
- Cabell, CH; Jollis, JG; Peterson, GE; Corey, GR; Anderson, DJ; Sexton, DJ; Woods, CW; Reller, LB; Ryan, T; Fowler, VG, Changing patient characteristics and the effect on mortality in endocarditis., Archives of Internal Medicine, vol 162 no. 1 (2002), pp. 90-94 [10.1001/archinte.162.1.90] [abs].
- Woods, CW; McRill, C; Plikaytis, BD; Rosenstein, NE; Mosley, D; Boyd, D; England, B; Perkins, BA; Ampel, NM; Hajjeh, RA, Coccidioidomycosis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected persons in Arizona, 1994-1997: incidence, risk factors, and prevention., The Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol 181 no. 4 (2000), pp. 1428-1434 [10.1086/315401] [abs].
- Woods, CW; Armstrong, G; Sackey, SO; Tetteh, C; Bugri, S; Perkins, BA; Rosenstein, NE, Emergency vaccination against epidemic meningitis in Ghana: implications for the control of meningococcal disease in West Africa., Lancet (London, England), vol 355 no. 9197 (2000), pp. 30-33 [10.1016/S0140-6736(99)03366-8] [abs].