Gayathri R. Devi
Associate Professor in Surgery
Dr. Devi’s research interests include functional genomics, anti-cancer drug discovery and development, mechanisms of cancer cell signaling, tumor immunity and applications thereof for overcoming therapeutic resistance in cancer.
The lab has established prostate, inflammatory breast cancer and ovarian cellular and tumor models.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor in Surgery
- Associate Professor in Pathology
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 477 Med.Sci.Res.Bldg. (Msrb1), 2606 DUMC, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 668-0410
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Nebraska College of Medicine, 1998
- NEUROSCI 493: Research Independent Study 1
- PATHOL 293: Research Independent Study
- PATHOL 786: Translational Aspects of Pathobiology
- PATHOL 793: Research Independent Study
- PHARM 493: Research Independent Study
- PHARM 494: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Cancer Cells Steer a Jagged Path (Jan 9, 2019 | Duke Health News)
- Study Shows How BPA May Affect Inflammatory Breast Cancer (Mar 28, 2017 | Duke Health News)
- Duke study targets rare, inflammatory breast cancer treatment (Jun 9, 2015 | WRAL)
- More research links BPA to health issues (Jun 26, 2014 | ConsumerAffairs)
- BPA Stimulates Growth of Breast Cancer Cells, Diminishes Effect of Treatment (Jun 23, 2014)
- Allensworth, JL; Sauer, SJ; Lyerly, HK; Morse, MA; Devi, GR, Smac mimetic Birinapant induces apoptosis and enhances TRAIL potency in inflammatory breast cancer cells in an IAP-dependent and TNF-α-independent mechanism., Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol 137 no. 2 (2013), pp. 359-371 [10.1007/s10549-012-2352-6] [abs].
- Allensworth, JL; Aird, KM; Aldrich, AJ; Batinic-Haberle, I; Devi, GR, XIAP inhibition and generation of reactive oxygen species enhances TRAIL sensitivity in inflammatory breast cancer cells., Molecular cancer therapeutics, vol 11 no. 7 (2012), pp. 1518-1527 [10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-11-0787] [abs].
- Piacentino, V; Milano, CA; Bolanos, M; Schroder, J; Messina, E; Cockrell, AS; Jones, E; Krol, A; Bursac, N; Mao, L; Devi, GR; Samulski, RJ; Bowles, DE, X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein-mediated attenuation of apoptosis, using a novel cardiac-enhanced adeno-associated viral vector., Human Gene Therapy, vol 23 no. 6 (2012), pp. 635-646 [10.1089/hum.2011.186] [abs].
- Aird, KM; Allensworth, JL; Batinic-Haberle, I; Lyerly, HK; Dewhirst, MW; Devi, GR, ErbB1/2 tyrosine kinase inhibitor mediates oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in inflammatory breast cancer cells., Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol 132 no. 1 (2012), pp. 109-119 [10.1007/s10549-011-1568-1] [abs].
- Morse, MA; Hobeika, A; Serra, D; Aird, K; McKinney, M; Aldrich, A; Clay, T; Mourich, D; Lyerly, HK; Iversen, PL; Devi, GR, Depleting regulatory T cells with arginine-rich, cell-penetrating, peptide-conjugated morpholino oligomer targeting FOXP3 inhibits regulatory T-cell function., Cancer Gene Ther, vol 19 no. 1 (2012), pp. 30-37 [10.1038/cgt.2011.63] [abs].
- Rangwala, F; Williams, KP; Smith, GR; Thomas, Z; Allensworth, JL; Lyerly, HK; Diehl, AM; Morse, MA; Devi, GR, Differential effects of arsenic trioxide on chemosensitization in human hepatic tumor and stellate cell lines., Bmc Cancer, vol 12 (2012) [10.1186/1471-2407-12-402] [abs].
- Thomas, ZI; Gibson, W; Sexton, JZ; Aird, KM; Ingram, SM; Aldrich, A; Lyerly, HK; Devi, GR; Williams, KP, Targeting GLI1 expression in human inflammatory breast cancer cells enhances apoptosis and attenuates migration., British Journal of Cancer, vol 104 no. 10 (2011), pp. 1575-1586 [10.1038/bjc.2011.133] [abs].
- Clay, TM; Osada, T; Hartman, ZC; Hobeika, A; Devi, G; Morse, MA; Lyerly, HK, Polyclonal immune responses to antigens associated with cancer signaling pathways and new strategies to enhance cancer vaccines., Immunologic Research, vol 49 no. 1-3 (2011), pp. 235-247 [10.1007/s12026-010-8186-6] [abs].
- Morse, MA; Wei, J; Hartman, Z; Xia, W; Ren, X-R; Lei, G; Barry, WT; Osada, T; Hobeika, AC; Peplinski, S; Jiang, H; Devi, GR; Chen, W; Spector, N; Amalfitano, A; Lyerly, HK; Clay, TM, Synergism from combined immunologic and pharmacologic inhibition of HER2 in vivo., International Journal of Cancer, vol 126 no. 12 (2010), pp. 2893-2903 [10.1002/ijc.24995] [abs].
- Aird, KM; Ghanayem, RB; Peplinski, S; Lyerly, HK; Devi, GR, X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein inhibits apoptosis in inflammatory breast cancer cells with acquired resistance to an ErbB1/2 tyrosine kinase inhibitor., Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol 9 no. 5 (2010), pp. 1432-1442 [10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-10-0160] [abs].
- Hartman, ZC; Wei, J; Osada, T; Glass, O; Lei, G; Yang, X-Y; Peplinski, S; Kim, D-W; Xia, W; Spector, N; Marks, J; Barry, W; Hobeika, A; Devi, G; Amalfitano, A; Morse, MA; Lyerly, HK; Clay, TM, An adenoviral vaccine encoding full-length inactivated human Her2 exhibits potent immunogenicty and enhanced therapeutic efficacy without oncogenicity., Clinical Cancer Research : an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, vol 16 no. 5 (2010), pp. 1466-1477 [10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-09-2549] [abs].
- Iversen, PL; Aird, KM; Wu, R; Morse, MM; Devi, GR, Cellular uptake of neutral phosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomers., Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol 10 no. 6 (2009), pp. 579-588 [abs].
- Ding, X; Mohd, AB; Huang, Z; Baba, T; Bernardini, MQ; Lyerly, HK; Berchuck, A; Murphy, SK; Buermeyer, AB; Devi, GR, MLH1 expression sensitises ovarian cancer cells to cell death mediated by XIAP inhibition., British Journal of Cancer, vol 101 no. 2 (2009), pp. 269-277 [10.1038/sj.bjc.6605180] [abs].
- Mavropoulos, JC; Buschemeyer, WC; Tewari, AK; Rokhfeld, D; Pollak, M; Zhao, Y; Febbo, PG; Cohen, P; Hwang, D; Devi, G; Demark-Wahnefried, W; Westman, EC; Peterson, BL; Pizzo, SV; Freedland, SJ, The effects of varying dietary carbohydrate and fat content on survival in a murine LNCaP prostate cancer xenograft model., Cancer Prevention Research, vol 2 no. 6 (2009), pp. 557-565 [10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-08-0188] [abs].
- Devi, GR, Delivery of phosphorodiamidate morpholino antisense oligomers in cancer cells., Methods in Molecular Biology (Clifton, N.J.), vol 542 (2009), pp. 351-361 [10.1007/978-1-59745-561-9_19] [abs].
- Sekhon, HS; London, CA; Sekhon, M; Iversen, PL; Devi, GR, c-MYC antisense phosphosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomer inhibits lung metastasis in a murine tumor model., Lung Cancer (Amsterdam, Netherlands), vol 60 no. 3 (2008), pp. 347-354 [10.1016/j.lungcan.2007.10.028] [abs].
- Aird, KM; Ding, X; Baras, A; Wei, J; Morse, MA; Clay, T; Lyerly, HK; Devi, GR, Trastuzumab signaling in ErbB2-overexpressing inflammatory breast cancer correlates with X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein expression., Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol 7 no. 1 (2008), pp. 38-47 [10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-07-0370] [abs].
- Morse, MA; Hobeika, A; Osada, T; Niedzwiecki, D; Marcom, PK; Blackwell, KL; Anders, C; Devi, GR; Lyerly, HK; Clay, TM, Long term disease-free survival and T cell and antibody responses in women with high-risk Her2+ breast cancer following vaccination against Her2., Journal of Translational Medicine, vol 5 (2007) [10.1186/1479-5876-5-42] [abs].
- Devi, GR, siRNA-based approaches in cancer therapy., Cancer Gene Therapy, vol 13 no. 9 (2006), pp. 819-829 [10.1038/sj.cgt.7700931] [abs].
- Devi, GR; Beer, TM; Corless, CL; Arora, V; Weller, DL; Iversen, PL, In vivo bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of a c-MYC antisense phosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomer, AVI-4126, in solid tumors., Clinical Cancer Research : an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, vol 11 no. 10 (2005), pp. 3930-3938 [10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-2091] [abs].
- Arora, V; Devi, GR; Iversen, PL, Neutrally charged phosphorodiamidate morpholino antisense oligomers: uptake, efficacy and pharmacokinetics., Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, vol 5 no. 5 (2004), pp. 431-439 [abs].
- Ko, Y-J; Devi, GR; London, CA; Kayas, A; Reddy, MT; Iversen, PL; Bubley, GJ; Balk, SP, Androgen receptor down-regulation in prostate cancer with phosphorodiamidate morpholino antisense oligomers., The Journal of Urology, vol 172 no. 3 (2004), pp. 1140-1144 [10.1097/01.ju.0000134698.87862.e6] [abs].
- Amantana, A; London, CA; Iversen, PL; Devi, GR, X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein inhibition induces apoptosis and enhances chemotherapy sensitivity in human prostate cancer cells., Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol 3 no. 6 (2004), pp. 699-707 [abs].
- Devi, GR, XIAP as target for therapeutic apoptosis in prostate cancer., Drug News & Perspectives, vol 17 no. 2 (2004), pp. 127-134 [abs].
- London, CA; Sekhon, HS; Arora, V; Stein, DA; Iversen, PL; Devi, GR, A novel antisense inhibitor of MMP-9 attenuates angiogenesis, human prostate cancer cell invasion and tumorigenicity., Cancer Gene Therapy, vol 10 no. 11 (2003), pp. 823-832 [10.1038/sj.cgt.7700642] [abs].
- Iversen, PL; Arora, V; Acker, AJ; Mason, DH; Devi, GR, Efficacy of antisense morpholino oligomer targeted to c-myc in prostate cancer xenograft murine model and a Phase I safety study in humans., Clinical Cancer Research : an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, vol 9 no. 7 (2003), pp. 2510-2519 [abs].
- Knapp, DC; Mata, JE; Reddy, MT; Devi, GR; Iversen, PL, Resistance to chemotherapeutic drugs overcome by c-Myc inhibition in a Lewis lung carcinoma murine model., Anti Cancer Drugs, vol 14 no. 1 (2003), pp. 39-47 [abs].
- Devi, GR; Oldenkamp, JR; London, CA; Iversen, PL, Inhibition of human chorionic gonadotropin beta-subunit modulates the mitogenic effect of c-myc in human prostate cancer cells., Prostate, vol 53 no. 3 (2002), pp. 200-210 [10.1002/pros.10151] [abs].
- Devi, GR; Sprenger, CC; Plymate, SR; Rosenfeld, RG, Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 induces early apoptosis in malignant prostate cancer cells and inhibits tumor formation in vivo., Prostate, vol 51 no. 2 (2002), pp. 141-152 [10.1002/pros.10068] [abs].
- Devi, GR, Prostate cancer: status of current treatments and emerging antisense-based therapies., Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics, vol 4 no. 2 (2002), pp. 138-148 [abs].
- Devi, GR; Graham, DL; Oh, Y; Rosenfeld, RG, Effect of IGFBP-3 on IGF- and IGF-analogue-induced insulin-like growth factor-I receptor (IGFIR) signalling., Growth Hormone & Igf Research : Official Journal of the Growth Hormone Research Society and the International Igf Research Society, vol 11 no. 4 (2001), pp. 231-239 [10.1054/ghir.2001.0231] [abs].
- López-Bermejo, A; Buckway, CK; Devi, GR; Hwa, V; Plymate, SR; Oh, Y; Rosenfeld, RG, Characterization of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-related proteins (IGFBP-rPs) 1, 2, and 3 in human prostate epithelial cells: potential roles for IGFBP-rP1 and 2 in senescence of the prostatic epithelium., Endocrinology, vol 141 no. 11 (2000), pp. 4072-4080 [10.1210/endo.141.11.7783] [abs].
- Devi, GR; Yang, DH; Rosenfeld, RG; Oh, Y, Differential effects of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding protein-3 and its proteolytic fragments on ligand binding, cell surface association, and IGF-I receptor signaling., Endocrinology, vol 141 no. 11 (2000), pp. 4171-4179 [10.1210/endo.141.11.7781] [abs].
- Rosenfeld, RG; Hwa, V; Wilson, L; Lopez-Bermejo, A; Buckway, C; Burren, C; Choi, WK; Devi, G; Ingermann, A; Graham, D; Minniti, G; Spagnoli, A; Oh, Y, The insulin-like growth factor binding protein superfamily: new perspectives., Pediatrics, vol 104 no. 4 Pt 2 (1999), pp. 1018-1021 [abs].
- Devi, GR; De Souza, AT; Byrd, JC; Jirtle, RL; MacDonald, RG, Altered ligand binding by insulin-like growth factor II/mannose 6-phosphate receptors bearing missense mutations in human cancers., Cancer Research, vol 59 no. 17 (1999), pp. 4314-4319 [abs].
- Byrd, JC; Devi, GR; de Souza, AT; Jirtle, RL; MacDonald, RG, Disruption of ligand binding to the insulin-like growth factor II/mannose 6-phosphate receptor by cancer-associated missense mutations., The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol 274 no. 34 (1999), pp. 24408-24416 [10.1074/jbc.274.34.24408] [abs].
- Devi, GR; Byrd, JC; Slentz, DH; MacDonald, RG, An insulin-like growth factor II (IGF-II) affinity-enhancing domain localized within extracytoplasmic repeat 13 of the IGF-II/mannose 6-phosphate receptor., Molecular Endocrinology (Baltimore, Md.), vol 12 no. 11 (1998), pp. 1661-1672 [10.1210/mend.12.11.0192] [abs].
- Garmroudi, F; Devi, G; Slentz, DH; Schaffer, BS; MacDonald, RG, Truncated forms of the insulin-like growth factor II (IGF-II)/mannose 6-phosphate receptor encompassing the IGF-II binding site: characterization of a point mutation that abolishes IGF-II binding., Molecular Endocrinology (Baltimore, Md.), vol 10 no. 6 (1996), pp. 642-651 [10.1210/mend.10.6.8776724] [abs].