Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Litchinitser holds a Ph.D. Electrical Engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology. Her primary focus is on metamaterials that manipulate the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. Litchinitser began her work with metamaterials as a research scientist at the University of Michigan, and joined the faculty at the University of Buffalo in 2008. Over the next decade, she became one of the leading experts in optical metamaterials. Currently, Litchinitser’s research focuses on topological photonics, which seek to direct light around tight corners using tiny waveguides that prevent photons from scattering. She is Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS), a Fellow of the Optical Society of America (OSA), and a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Physics
- Office Location: 2537 CIEMAS Building, 101 Science Dr, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-6060
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Illinois Institute of Technology, 1997
Nanophotonics; Photonic Metamaterials; Nonlinear Optics; Fiber Optics; Photonic Crystal Fibers
- ECE 270DL: Fields and Waves: Fundamentals of Information Propagation
- ECE 270L9: Fields and Waves: Fundamentals of Information Propagation (Lab)
- ECE 545: Foundations of Nanoelectronics & Nanophotonics
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- PHYSICS 495: Thesis Independent Study
In the News
- Smuggling Light Through Opaque Materials (Oct 13, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Bending Light Around Tight Corners (Nov 19, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Natasha Litchinitser: Pratt Faculty Structuring Materials to Control Light (Oct 15, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Gao, J; Vincenti, MA; Frantz, J; Clabeau, A; Qiao, X; Feng, L; Scalora, M; Litchinitser, NM, Near-infrared to ultra-violet frequency conversion in chalcogenide metasurfaces., Nature Communications, vol 12 no. 1 (2021) [10.1038/s41467-021-26094-1] [abs].
- Shalaev, MI; Walasik, W; Tsukernik, A; Xu, Y; Litchinitser, NM, Robust topologically protected transport in photonic crystals at telecommunication wavelengths., Nature Nanotechnology, vol 14 no. 1 (2019), pp. 31-34 [10.1038/s41565-018-0297-6] [abs].
- Shalaev, MI; Walasik, W; Tsukernik, A; Xu, Y; Litchinitser, NM, Author Correction: Robust topologically protected transport in photonic crystals at telecommunication wavelengths., Nature Nanotechnology, vol 14 no. 1 (2019) [10.1038/s41565-018-0349-y] [abs].