Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Dr. Regis Kopper is an Adjunct Assistant Research Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science at Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering and the director of the Duke immersive Virtual Environment (DiVE). Dr. Kopper has experience in the design and evaluation of virtual reality systems in the areas of interaction design and modeling, virtual human interaction and in the evaluation of the benefits of immersive systems. At Duke, Dr. Kopper investigates how immersive virtual reality technology and experiences can benefit different domain areas, such as archeology, health care, engineering, psychology and neuroscience. His research interests include 3D user interfaces, novel interaction techniques and immersive display systems. Dr. Kopper is a recipient of the best paper award in the IEEE Symposium in 3D User Interfaces and was a member of the first team to be awarded the IEEE 3D User Interfaces Grand Prize. His research has been funded by the DoD, NSF, NIH, FAPESP (Brazil) and CNPq (Brazil). Dr. Kopper received his B.A. and M.S. from the Pontifical Catholic University in Porto Alegre, Brazil and his Ph.D. from Virginia Tech.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Associate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Office Location: 3563 Fciemas, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708-0271
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5570
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Virginia Polytech Institute and State University, 2011
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Research Impact in Human-Computer Interaction Award. Center for Human- Computer Interaction, Virginia Tech. 2015
- Best paper award. 2011 IEEE 3DUI Symposium. 2011
- COMPSCI 590: Advanced Topics in Computer Science
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- VMS 590: Special Topics in Visual and Media Studies
In the News
- With Duke Now Featuring Four Locations for Virtual Reality, the Community Can Enter Worlds Never Before Imaginable (Jul 5, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- High-Tech Tools Yield Roman Discovery (Jul 27, 2016)
- DIVE, Art Historians Recreate 8,000-Year-Old City (Jul 20, 2016)
- Visitors DiVE into Virtual Reality at Duke (Jun 29, 2015)
- Souza, V; Maciel, A; Nedel, L; Kopper, R, Measuring Presence in Virtual Environments: A Survey, Acm Computing Surveys, vol 54 no. 8 (2022) [10.1145/3466817] [abs].
- Trevisan, DG; Kopper, R; de Jesus Oliveira, VA, Foreword to the Special Section on the 2021 Symposium on Virtual and Augmented Reality (SVR 2021), Computers and Graphics (Pergamon), vol 102 (2022), pp. A12-A13 [10.1016/j.cag.2021.11.008] [abs].
- Liu, S; Clements, JM; Kirsch, EP; Rao, HM; Zielinski, DJ; Lu, Y; Mainsah, BO; Potter, ND; Sommer, MA; Kopper, R; Appelbaum, LG, Psychophysiological Markers of Performance and Learning during Simulated Marksmanship in Immersive Virtual Reality., J Cogn Neurosci, vol 33 no. 7 (2021), pp. 1253-1270 [10.1162/jocn_a_01713] [abs].
- Grandi, JG; Cao, Z; Ogren, M; Kopper, R, Design and simulation of next-generation augmented reality user interfaces in virtual reality, Proceedings 2021 Ieee Conference on Virtual Reality and 3d User Interfaces Abstracts and Workshops, Vrw 2021 (2021), pp. 23-29 [10.1109/VRW52623.2021.00011] [abs].
- Kopper, R; Langlotz, T; Bruder, G; Nedel, L; Figueroa, P; Wang, L; Hachet, M, Conference paper program chairs message, Proceedings 2021 Ieee Conference on Virtual Reality and 3d User Interfaces, Vr 2021 (2021), pp. xiv-xv [10.1109/VR50410.2021.00007] [abs].