Professor of Neurosurgery
Dr. Nandan Lad is a neurosurgeon, scientist, and entrepreneur and Professor and Vice Chair of Innovation for Duke Neurosurgery. He is Director of the Functional & Restorative Neuromodulation Program and the Duke NeuroInnovations Program, a systematic approach to innovation to large unmet clinical needs.
He completed his MD and PhD in Biochemistry at Chicago Medical School and his neurosurgical residency training at Stanford with fellowships in both Surgical Innovation and Functional Neurosurgery.
Neuromodulation; Neurorestoration; Bioengineering; Medical Device Design; Clinical Trials; Data Science; Health Outcomes.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Neurosurgery
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Core Faculty in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- Core Faculty Member, Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy
- Office Location: 200 Trent Drive, Blue Zone, Su, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 681-1973
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stanford University, 2009
- Stanford University, 2008
- Stanford University, 2011
- Stanford University, 2005
- Ph.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- M.D. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2004
- NEUROSCI 391: Neuroscience Independent Scholarship 1: Advanced Topics
In the News
- When Diabetic Neuropathy Made Him Miserable, A Spinal Cord Stimulator Got Him Back on His Feet (Jul 27, 2022)
- A Challenging Diagnosis in a Patient With Metastatic Lung Cancer (Sep 13, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Chronic Foot, Ankle Pain After Lumbar Decompression Surgery (Aug 16, 2016 | Clinical Practice Today)
- Trying a New Pulse for Pain Relief (Nov 1, 2015)
- MRI Technology Reveals Deep Brain Pathways in Unprecedented Detail (Jun 4, 2015 | Duke Today)
- Surgical Complications of DBS No Higher Risk for Older Parkinson’s Patients (Aug 27, 2014 | Duke Today)
- Spinal Fusion Material, BMP, Increases Risk of Benign Tumors, Not Cancer (Sep 5, 2013 | Duke Today)
- Wu, KA; Kunte, S; Rajkumar, S; Venkatraman, V; Kim, G; Kaplan, S; Anwar-Hashmi, SO; Doberne, J; Nguyen, TC; Lad, SP, Digital Health for Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery: A Systematic Review, Healthcare (Basel, Switzerland), vol 11 no. 17 (2023) [10.3390/healthcare11172411] [abs].
- Venkatraman, V; Bharmi, R; Coletti, F; Gellad, ZF; Lempel, N; Amit, R; Blank, N; Brown, J; Kumar, C; Fishman, M; Vallejo, R; Datta, D; Reeve, BB; Chakravarthy, K; Sharan, AD; Lad, SP, Real World Characterization of Chronic Pain, Success Rates and Implant Rates: Evidence from a Digital Health Platform of Patients Undergoing Spinal Cord Stimulation Evaluations., J Pain (2023) [10.1016/j.jpain.2023.07.008] [abs].
- Petersen, EA; Stauss, TG; Scowcroft, JA; Jaasma, MJ; Brooks, ES; Edgar, DR; White, JL; Sills, SM; Amirdelfan, K; Guirguis, MN; Xu, J; Yu, C; Nairizi, A; Patterson, DG; Tsoulfas, KC; Creamer, MJ; Galan, V; Bundschu, RH; Mehta, ND; Sayed, D; Lad, SP; DiBenedetto, DJ; Sethi, KA; Goree, JH; Bennett, MT; Harrison, NJ; Israel, AF; Chang, P; Wu, PW; Argoff, CE; Nasr, CE; Taylor, RS; Caraway, DL; Mekhail, NA, Long-term efficacy of high-frequency (10 kHz) spinal cord stimulation for the treatment of painful diabetic neuropathy: 24-Month results of a randomized controlled trial., Diabetes Res Clin Pract, vol 203 (2023) [10.1016/j.diabres.2023.110865] [abs].
- Venkatraman, V; Spears, CA; Futch, BG; Yang, LZ; Parente, BA; Lee, H-J; Lad, SP, Assessment of Health Care Costs and Total Baclofen Use Associated With Targeted Drug Delivery for Spasticity., Neuromodulation, vol 26 no. 6 (2023), pp. 1247-1255 [10.1016/j.neurom.2023.01.017] [abs].
- Venkatraman, V; Suarez, AD; Kirsch, EP; Heo, H; Wu, KA; McDaniel, KE; Yang, LZ; Jung, S-H; Dharmapurikar, R; Lad, SP; Haglund, MM, Quantifying the Opportunity Cost of Neurosurgical Resident Education., World Neurosurg, vol 175 (2023), pp. e669-e677 [10.1016/j.wneu.2023.04.005] [abs].