Al-Hafeez Z Dhalla
Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
My research centers on the application of optical technologies for non-invasive, high-resolution imaging of biological tissues. In particular, I focus on applications of optical coherence tomography (OCT) and scanning laser ophthalmoscopy (SLO) in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the eye. My work focuses not only on the engineering and technical development of novel imaging technologies, but also the preparation of these technologies for commercialization through clinical validation and regulatory approval.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: 101 Science Drive, Fciemas 2574A, Durham, NC 27708-0281
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2012
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- Qian, R; Zhou, KC; Zhang, J; Viehland, C; Dhalla, A-H; Izatt, JA, Video-rate high-precision time-frequency multiplexed 3D coherent ranging., Nature Communications, vol 13 no. 1 (2022) [10.1038/s41467-022-29177-9] [abs].
- Zhou, KC; Dhalla, AH; McNabb, RP; Qian, R; Farsiu, S; Izatt, JA, High-speed multiview imaging approaching 4pi steradians using conic section mirrors: Theoretical and practical considerations, Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol 38 no. 12 (2021), pp. 1810-1822 [10.1364/JOSAA.440592] [abs].
- Patel, DD; Dhalla, A-H; Viehland, C; Connor, TB; Lipinski, DM, Development of a Preclinical Laser Speckle Contrast Imaging Instrument for Assessing Systemic and Retinal Vascular Function in Small Rodents., Translational Vision Science & Technology, vol 10 no. 9 (2021) [10.1167/tvst.10.9.19] [abs].
- Zhou, KC; Qian, R; Dhalla, AH; Farsiu, S; Izatt, JA, Unified k-space theory of optical coherence tomography, Advances in Optics and Photonics, vol 13 no. 2 (2021), pp. 462-514 [10.1364/AOP.417102] [abs].
- Zhou, KC; Qian, R; Dhalla, AH; Farsiu, S; Izatt, JA, Incoherent 3D k-space synthesis with volumetric optical coherence refraction tomography, Optics Infobase Conference Papers (2021) [abs].