Emily Rose Derbyshire
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
The Derbyshire Lab uses both chemical tools and biological methods to uncover novel aspects of malaria parasite biology with the ultimate aim of identifying druggable targets. Projects range from developing assays for phenotypic and target-based screens to exploring biological pathways and identifying small molecules with potential therapeutic value. Their interdisciplinary collaborative program integrates chemical biology, molecular biology and biochemistry to globally interrogate parasite biology.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry
- Assistant Professor in Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Office Location: 3218 French Science Center, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1511
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harvard Medical School, 2014
- Ph.D. University of California at Berkeley, 2008
- B.S. Trinity College, 2002
- CHEM 89S: First-Year Seminar
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 517: Molecules in Life and Disease
- MGM 293: Research Independent Study I
- MGM 593: Research Independent Study
- PHARM 693: Research Independent Study in Science Education
In the News
- Malaria-Causing Parasite Manipulates Liver Cells to Survive (May 22, 2018)
- Two Duke Faculty Win NIH New Innovator Awards (Oct 5, 2017)
- Chemistry Professor Wins 2017 Marion Milligan Mason Award (Jan 11, 2017)
- Emily Derbyshire: Prospecting for Malaria Drugs (Oct 2, 2014)
- Cancer-Fighting Drugs Might Also Stop Malaria Early (Aug 25, 2014)
- Raphemot, R; Eubanks, AL; Toro-Moreno, M; Geiger, RA; Hughes, PF; Lu, K-Y; Haystead, TAJ; Derbyshire, ER, Plasmodium PK9 Inhibitors Promote Growth of Liver-Stage Parasites., Cell Chemical Biology (2018) [10.1016/j.chembiol.2018.11.003] [abs].
- Eubanks, AL; Perkins, MM; Sylvester, K; Ganley, JG; Posfai, D; Sanschargrin, PC; Hong, J; Sliz, P; Derbyshire, ER, In silico Screening and Evaluation of Plasmodium falciparum Protein Kinase 5 (PK5) Inhibitors., Chemmedchem (2018) [10.1002/cmdc.201800625] [abs].
- Ganley, JG; Carr, G; Ioerger, TR; Sacchettini, JC; Clardy, J; Derbyshire, ER, Discovery of Antimicrobial Lipodepsipeptides Produced by a Serratia sp. within Mosquito Microbiomes., Chembiochem : a European Journal of Chemical Biology, vol 19 no. 15 (2018), pp. 1590-1594 [10.1002/cbic.201800124] [abs].
- Posfai, D; Sylvester, K; Reddy, A; Ganley, JG; Wirth, J; Cullen, QE; Dave, T; Kato, N; Dave, SS; Derbyshire, ER, Plasmodium parasite exploits host aquaporin-3 during liver stage malaria infection., Plos Pathogens, vol 14 no. 5 (2018) [10.1371/journal.ppat.1007057] [abs].
- Posfai, D; Sylvester, K; Reddy, A; Ganley, JG; Wirth, J; Cullen, QE; Dave, T; Kato, N; Dave, SS; Derbyshire, ER, Plasmodium parasite exploits host aquaporin-3 during liver stage malaria infection, Plos Pathogens, vol 14 no. 5 (2018) [10.1371/journal.ppat.100757] [abs].