Katherine Schuver Garman
Assistant Professor of Medicine
My research focuses on injury, repair, and cancer development in the gastrointestinal tract. My laboratory performs translational research with the goal of improving health of the gastrointestinal tract. Our work is based in observations from human clinical research. We use databases of esophageal and colon disease to learn more about clinical risk factors for disease. We also use pathology samples of tumors to study the gastrointestinal tract in different states: healthy, inflamed or damaged, and with cancer.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network,, Comprehensive molecular characterization of gastric adenocarcinoma., Nature, vol 513 no. 7517 (2014), pp. 202-209 [10.1038/nature13480] [abs].
- Karaca, G; Swiderska-Syn, M; Xie, G; Syn, W-K; Krüger, L; Machado, MV; Garman, K; Choi, SS; Michelotti, GA; Burkly, LC; Ochoa, B; Diehl, AM, TWEAK/Fn14 signaling is required for liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy in mice., Plos One, vol 9 no. 1 (2014) [10.1371/journal.pone.0083987] [abs].
- , MicroRNA expression differentiates squamous epithelium from barrett's esophagus and esophageal cancer, Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol 58 no. 11 (2013), pp. 3178-3188 [10.1007/s10620-013-2806-7] [abs].
- Fang, Y; Chen, X; Bajpai, M; Verma, A; Das, KM; Souza, RF; Garman, KS; Donohoe, CL; O'Farrell, NJ; Reynolds, JV; Dvorak, K, Cellular origins and molecular mechanisms of Barrett's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma., Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol 1300 (2013), pp. 187-199 [10.1111/nyas.12249] [abs].
- Peery, AF; Hoppo, T; Garman, KS; Dellon, ES; Daugherty, N; Bream, S; Sanz, AF; Davison, J; Spacek, M; Connors, D; Faulx, AL; Chak, A; Luketich, JD; Shaheen, NJ; Jobe, BA; Barrett's Esophagus Risk Consortium,, Feasibility, safety, acceptability, and yield of office-based, screening transnasal esophagoscopy (with video)., Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol 75 no. 5 (2012), pp. 945-953.e2 [10.1016/j.gie.2012.01.021] [abs].
- Garman, KS; Shaheen, NJ, Ablative therapies for Barrett's esophagus., Current Gastroenterology Reports, vol 13 no. 3 (2011), pp. 226-239 [10.1007/s11894-011-0182-z] [abs].
- , Colorectal Cancer Screening (2010), pp. 212-218 [10.1002/9781444328417.ch31] [abs].
- Tempelhof, MW; Garman, KS; Langman, MK; Adams, MB, Leveraging time and learning style, iPod vs. realtime attendance at a series of medicine residents conferences: a randomised controlled trial., Informatics in Primary Care, vol 17 no. 2 (2009), pp. 87-94 [abs].