Al-Hafeez Z Dhalla
Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
My research focuses on the application of optical technologies for non-invasive, high-resolution imaging of biological tissues. In particular, our laboratory develops optical coherence tomography (OCT), scanning laser ophthalmoscopy (SLO), light detection and ranging (LiDAR) and other optical imaging technologies for applications in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, particularly diseases of the eye. My work focuses not only on the engineering and technical development of novel imaging technologies, but also the preparation of these technologies for commercialization through clinical validation and regulatory approval.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Research Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: 101 Science Drive, Fciemas 2574A, Durham, NC 27708-0281
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2012
Biomedical optics, especially optical coherence tomography, scanning laser ophthalmoscopy and LiDAR, applied to the diagnostic imaging, image guided surgery and robotic microsurgery.
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- Zhang, J; Qian, R; Zhou, KC; Viehland, C; Draelos, M; Dhalla, AH; Izatt, JA, Real-time wide-field spectral-scanning FMCW coherent 3D imaging and velocimetry, Optics Letters, vol 47 no. 16 (2022), pp. 4064-4067 [10.1364/OL.463965] [abs].
- Zhou, KC; McNabb, RP; Qian, R; Degan, S; Dhalla, AH; Farsiu, S; Izatt, JA, Computational 3D microscopy with optical coherence refraction tomography, Optica, vol 9 no. 6 (2022), pp. 593-601 [10.1364/OPTICA.454860] [abs].
- Qian, R; Zhou, KC; Zhang, J; Viehland, C; Dhalla, A-H; Izatt, JA, Video-rate high-precision time-frequency multiplexed 3D coherent ranging., Nature Communications, vol 13 no. 1 (2022) [10.1038/s41467-022-29177-9] [abs].
- Zhou, KC; Dhalla, AH; McNabb, RP; Qian, R; Farsiu, S; Izatt, JA, High-speed multiview imaging approaching 4pi steradians using conic section mirrors: Theoretical and practical considerations, Journal of the Optical Society of America A, vol 38 no. 12 (2021), pp. 1810-1822 [10.1364/JOSAA.440592] [abs].
- Patel, DD; Dhalla, A-H; Viehland, C; Connor, TB; Lipinski, DM, Development of a Preclinical Laser Speckle Contrast Imaging Instrument for Assessing Systemic and Retinal Vascular Function in Small Rodents., Translational Vision Science & Technology, vol 10 no. 9 (2021) [10.1167/tvst.10.9.19] [abs].