Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
My general research focus is on developing novel machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques that can be used to accelerate scientific discovery. I work extensively both on the fundamental theory and algorithms as well as translating them into scientific applications. I have extensive partnerships deploying machine learning techniques in environmental health, mental health, and neuroscience.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Assistant Professor in Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27705
- Office Phone: (919) 668-9680
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2015
Machine learning, predictive modeling, health data science, statistical neuroscience
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 702: Graduate Colloquium
- CEE 780: Internship
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
In the News
- Eyes in the Sky Bring Good News on Trash Burning in the Maldives (Jul 14, 2023 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Students Find Interdisciplinary Exploration and Connection in Winter Breakaway Courses (Jan 21, 2021)
- David Carlson: Engineering and Machine Learning for Better Medicine (Jan 9, 2018 | Duke Research Blog)
- David Carlson: Generating Scientific Understanding from Machine Learning (Aug 24, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Grossman, YS; Talbot, A; Gallagher, NM; Thomas, GE; Fink, AJ; Walder-Christensen, KK; Russo, SJ; Carlson, DE; Dzirasa, K, Brain-wide oscillatory network encodes an aggressive internal state (2022) [10.1101/2022.12.07.519272] [abs].
- Jiang, Z; Zheng, T; Bergin, M; Carlson, D, Improving spatial variation of ground-level PM2.5 prediction with contrastive learning from satellite imagery, Science of Remote Sensing, vol 5 (2022) [10.1016/j.srs.2022.100052] [abs].
- Mague, SD; Talbot, A; Blount, C; Walder-Christensen, KK; Duffney, LJ; Adamson, E; Bey, AL; Ndubuizu, N; Thomas, GE; Hughes, DN; Grossman, Y; Hultman, R; Sinha, S; Fink, AM; Gallagher, NM; Fisher, RL; Jiang, Y-H; Carlson, DE; Dzirasa, K, Brain-wide electrical dynamics encode individual appetitive social behavior., Neuron, vol 110 no. 10 (2022), pp. 1728-1741.e7 [10.1016/j.neuron.2022.02.016] [abs].
- Bey, AL; Walder-Christensen, KK; Goffinet, J; Adamson, E; Lanier, N; Mague, SD; Carlson, D; Dzirasa, K, 6.28 Identifying Networks Underlying Sleep Disruption in Autism Spectrum Disorder Mouse Models, Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol 60 no. 10 (2021), pp. S167-S167 [10.1016/j.jaac.2021.09.101] [abs].
- Dunn, TW; Marshall, JD; Severson, KS; Aldarondo, DE; Hildebrand, DGC; Chettih, SN; Wang, WL; Gellis, AJ; Carlson, DE; Aronov, D; Freiwald, WA; Wang, F; Ölveczky, BP, Geometric deep learning enables 3D kinematic profiling across species and environments., Nat Methods, vol 18 no. 5 (2021), pp. 564-573 [10.1038/s41592-021-01106-6] [abs].