Heather Elizabeth Whitson
Professor of Medicine
Dr. Whitson's research is focused on improving care options and resilience for people with multiple chronic conditions. In particular, she has interest and expertise related to the link between age-related changes in the eye and brain (e.g., How does late-life vision loss impact the aging brain or cognitive outcomes? Is Alzheimer's disease associated with distinctive changes in the retina, and could such changes help diagnose Alzheimer's disease early in its course?). Dr. Whitson leads a collaborative Alzheimer's Disease initiative that brings together investigators from Duke University and the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill, with a bold vision to transform dementia research and care across Eastern North Carolina. Dr. Whitson is also interested in improving health services to better meet the needs of medically complex patients. Within the Duke Aging Center, she leads research efforts aimed at promoting resilience to late-life stressors (e.g., surgery, sensory loss, infection). She has developed a novel rehabilitation model for people with co-existing vision and cognitive deficits, and she is part of a inter-disciplinary team seeking to improve peri-operative outcomes for frail or at-risk seniors who must undergo surgery. As a co-leader of a national resilience collaborative, she seeks to better understand the biological and psychological factors that determine how well we "bounce back" after health stressors.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Medicine
- Associate Professor in Ophthalmology
- Professor in Ophthalmology
- Professor in Head & Neck Surgery and Communication Sciences
- Director of the Duke Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development
- Office Location: Dept of Medicine, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 660-7514
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Duke University, 2006
- Duke University, 2004
- Duke University, 2003
- M.H.S. Duke University, 2009
- M.D. Cornell University, 2000
- NEUROSCI 494: Research Independent Study 2
In the News
- Alzheimer's Research: Unlocking the Secrets of the Brain (Mar 20, 2022)
- Duke/UNC Awarded Grant to Establish Joint Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center (Sep 12, 2021 | Duke Health News)
- Two Blues Join Forces to Fight Alzheimer’s Disease (Mar 18, 2021 | School of Medicine Magnify)
- Harnessing the Brain’s Resilience to Fight Alzheimer’s Disease (Mar 8, 2021 | Duke Science & Technology)
- Center for Vision and Population Health at Prevent Blindness Established to Implement Strategies to Address Eye Health (Dec 7, 2018 | Market Insider)
- Novel rehabilitation model for people living with both vision impairment and cognitive impairment (May 3, 2018 | GM Journal)
- Race, sex may influence who calls an ambulance for stroke symptoms (Aug 13, 2015 | Fox News)
- Doctor shortage: Who will take care of the elderly? (Apr 23, 2015 | U.S. News & World Report)
- Why are Boomers Getting STDs? (Mar 29, 2013 | New York Times)
- Whitson, HE; Colton, C; El Khoury, J; Gate, D; Goate, A; Heneka, MT; Kaddurah-Daouk, R; Klein, RS; Shinohara, ML; Sisodia, S; Spudich, SS; Stevens, B; Tanzi, R; Ting, JP; Garden, G; Aiello, A; Chiba-Falek, O; Heitman, J; Johnson, KG; Luftig, M; Moseman, A; Rawls, J; Swanstrom, R; Terrando, N, Infection and inflammation: New perspectives on Alzheimer's disease, Brain, Behavior, & Immunity Health, vol 22 (2022), pp. 100462-100462 [10.1016/j.bbih.2022.100462] [abs].
- Bowling, CB; Berkowitz, TSZ; Smith, B; Whitson, HE; DePasquale, N; Wang, V; Maciejewski, ML; Olsen, MK, Unintended Consequences of COVID-19 Social Distancing Among Older Adults With Kidney Disease., J Gerontol a Biol Sci Med Sci, vol 77 no. 4 (2022), pp. e133-e137 [10.1093/gerona/glab211] [abs].
- Ma, JP; Robbins, CB; Lee, JM; Soundararajan, S; Stinnett, SS; Agrawal, R; Plassman, BL; Lad, EM; Whitson, H; Grewal, DS; Fekrat, S, Longitudinal Analysis of the Retina and Choroid in Cognitively Normal Individuals at Higher Genetic Risk of Alzheimer Disease., Ophthalmol Retina (2022) [10.1016/j.oret.2022.03.001] [abs].
- Berger, M; Browndyke, JN; Cooter Wright, M; Nobuhara, C; Reese, M; Acker, L; Bullock, WM; Colin, BJ; Devinney, MJ; Moretti, EW; Moul, JW; Ohlendorf, B; Laskowitz, DT; Waligorska, T; Shaw, LM; Whitson, HE; Cohen, HJ; Mathew, JP; MADCO-PC Investigators,, Postoperative changes in cognition and cerebrospinal fluid neurodegenerative disease biomarkers., Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, vol 9 no. 2 (2022), pp. 155-170 [10.1002/acn3.51499] [abs].
- Nagarajan, N; Assi, L; Varadaraj, V; Motaghi, M; Sun, Y; Couser, E; Ehrlich, JR; Whitson, H; Swenor, BK, Vision impairment and cognitive decline among older adults: a systematic review., Bmj Open, vol 12 no. 1 (2022) [10.1136/bmjopen-2020-047929] [abs].