Jeffrey L. Krolik
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Jeffrey Krolik is Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University in Durham, NC. Canadian-born, he received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Toronto in 1987. He began his academic career as an Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Concordia University in Montreal. Interested in signal processing applications in the ocean sciences, he joined the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California San Diego as an Assistant Research Scientist in 1990. At Scripps, he developed physics-based sensor array processing methods that exploit multi-path underwater acoustic propagation. Since coming to Duke in 1992, he has broadened his research interests to include statistical signal processing for surveillance radars and microwave remote sensing, active and passive sonar, and medical imaging. Some of his current projects include the development of aircraft height finding for over-the-horizon HF radar, through-the-sensor environmental monitoring of near-surface atmospheric conditions using a shipboard microwave radar, active sonar array shape estimation from reverberation, and functional magnetic resonance imaging algorithms which are robust to head motion. As a consultant, he has worked for the Office of Naval Research, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the Air Force Rome Laboratories.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3465 CIEMAS, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5274
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Toronto (Canada), 1987
- M.A. University of Toronto (Canada), 1983
- B.A. University of Toronto (Canada), 1980
Physics-based and statistical signal processing, sensor array processing, radar and sonar systems, pervasive distributed processing
- ECE 686: Adaptive Filters
- ECE 688: Sensor Array Signal Processing
In the News
- Pratt Engineers Awarded Four Department of Defense Grants (Jun 18, 2013)
- Young, AH; Harms, HA; Hickman, GW; Rogers, JS; Krolik, JL, Waveguide-Invariant-Based Ranging and Receiver Localization Using Tonal Sources of Opportunity, Ieee Journal of Oceanic Engineering (2019) [10.1109/JOE.2018.2883855] [abs].
- Soli, J; Hickman, G; Krolik, J, Range–Velocity Estimation Bounds for Nonuniform Sonar Comb Signals, Ieee Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol 54 no. 6 (2018), pp. 2980-2991 [10.1109/taes.2018.2836558] [abs].
- Cnaan-On, I; Harms, A; Krolik, JL; Calderbank, AR, Run-length limited codes for backscatter communication, 2015 Ieee International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (Icassp) (2017), pp. 6110-6114 [10.1109/ICASSP.2017.7953330] [abs].
- Ramirez, J; Krolik, JL, Synthetic aperture processing for passive co-prime linear sensor arrays, Digital Signal Processing, vol 61 (2017), pp. 62-75 [10.1016/j.dsp.2016.07.021] [abs].
- Xu, C; Krolik, J, Multiple-input multiple-output radar for monitoring of bed-ridden patients (2017), pp. 227-260 [10.1201/9781315155340] [abs].