Associate Research Professor in theDepartment of Electrical and Computer Engineering
I am the founding director of the Duke Smart Toilet Lab, dedicated to the opportunities that data-rich human excreta offer to improve individual and public health. The objective is to empower individuals and groups in communal living with health information for early warning of disease, health and wellness and management of chronic diseases through wastewater analysis, without any changes of daily habits. I am passionate about the opportunities that advanced sanitation technologies offer to improve global health and to provide a paradigm shift in health screening both for individuals and for communities.
As a major project of my research portfolio over the past 5 years, I have led the field testing of 10+ onsite sanitation technology prototypes from multiple organizations in international settings. I have managed yearlong deployments of sophisticated chemo-mechanical systems with electronic monitoring connected to wastewater pipes of buildings, ensuring no disruption of service to users while evaluating the treatment process performance.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Research Professor in theDepartment of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 701 W.Main Street, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5353
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Copenhagen (Denmark), 1999
- M.S. Università di Pisa (Italy), 1995
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
In the News
- ’Smart Toilet’ Uses Artificial Intelligence to Monitor Bowel Health (May 24, 2021)
- Comparing the Swab to the Sewer (Mar 4, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Smart Toilet Saves Vital Health Data from Getting Flushed (Feb 3, 2020 | Bass Connections)
- Welling, CM; Singleton, DR; Haase, SB; Browning, CH; Stoner, BR; Gunsch, CK; Grego, S, Predictive values of time-dense SARS-CoV-2 wastewater analysis in university campus buildings., The Science of the Total Environment, vol 835 (2022) [10.1016/j.scitotenv.2022.155401] [abs].
- Zhou, J; McNabb, J; De Capite, N; Ruiz, JR; Fisher, DA; Grego, S; Chakrabarty, K, Stool Image Analysis for Digital Health Monitoring by Smart Toilets, Ieee Internet of Things Journal (2022) [10.1109/JIOT.2022.3158886] [abs].
- Sasidaran, S; Kachoria, P; Raj, A; Ramalingam, S; Stoner, BR; Sellgren, KL; Grego, S, Physical properties of menstrual hygiene waste as feedstock for onsite disposal technologies, Journal of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene for Development : a Journal of the International Water Association, vol 11 no. 3 (2021), pp. 474-482 [10.2166/washdev.2021.262] [abs].
- Varigala, S; Krishnaswamy, S; Lohia, CP; Hegarty-Craver, M; Grego, S; Luettgen, M; Cid, CA, Optimal design of an electrochemical reactor for blackwater treatment., Water Environment Research : a Research Publication of the Water Environment Federation, vol 93 no. 1 (2021), pp. 148-158 [10.1002/wer.1374] [abs].
- Rosario, P; Viswash, R; Seenivasan, T; Ramalingam, S; Sellgren, KL; Grego, S; Trotochaud, L, Potential Pitfalls in Wastewater Phosphorus Analysis and How to Avoid Them., Environmental Health Insights, vol 15 (2021) [10.1177/11786302211019218] [abs].