George Barth Geller Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
Dr. Liu’s research interests are focusing on the chemistry and material science of nanoscale materials. Specific topics in his current research program include: Self-assembly of nanostructures; Preparation and chemical functionalization of single
walled carbon nanotubes; Developing carbon nanotube based chemical and biological sensors; SPM based fabrication and modification of functional nanostructures.
Appointments and Affiliations
- George Barth Geller Distinguished Professor of Chemistry
- Professor of Chemistry
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: 2105 French Science Center, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1549
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rice University, 1999
- Ph.D. Harvard University , 1996
- M.S. Shandong University (China), 1990
- B.S. Shandong University (China), 1987
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2013
- AAAS Fellows. American Association for the Advancement of Science, The. 2012
- CHEM 311: Physical Chemistry II
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 548: Solid-State and Materials Chemistry
- CHEM 590: Special Topics in Chemistry
- MSEG 591: Independent Study
In the News
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- Light-Driven Reaction Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel (Feb 23, 2017)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Li, X; Everitt, HO; Liu, J, Synergy between thermal and nonthermal effects in plasmonic photocatalysis, Nano Research, vol 13 no. 5 (2020), pp. 1268-1280 [10.1007/s12274-020-2694-z] [abs].
- He, S; Ji, D; Zhang, J; Novello, P; Li, X; Zhang, Q; Zhang, X; Liu, J, Understanding the Origin of Selective Reduction of CO2 to CO on Single-Atom Nickel Catalyst., Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol 124 no. 3 (2020), pp. 511-518 [10.1021/acs.jpcb.9b09730] [abs].
- Liu, J, Plasmonic catalysis: Heating vs. hot electrons, Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society, vol 258 (2019) [abs].
- Zhang, X; Li, X; Zhang, D; Su, NQ; Yang, W; Everitt, HO; Liu, J, Product selectivity in plasmonic photocatalysis for carbon dioxide hydrogenation, Nature Communications, vol 8 (2017) [abs].
- Kim, CHJ; Zhao, D; Lee, G; Liu, J, Strong, Machinable Carbon Aerogels for High Performance Supercapacitors, Advanced Functional Materials, vol 26 no. 27 (2016), pp. 4976-4983 [10.1002/adfm.201601010] [abs].
- Zhang, X; Gutierrez, Y; Li, P; Barreda, AI; Watson, AM; Alcaraz De La Osa, R; Finkelstein, G; Gonzalez, F; Ortiz, D; Saiz, JM; Sanz, JM; Everitt, HO; Liu, J; Moreno, F, Plasmonics in the UV range with Rhodium nanocubes, Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Active Materials: Behavior and Mechanics, vol 9884 (2016) [10.1117/12.2227674] [abs].
- Cheng, Y; Zhang, H; Varanasi, CV; Liu, J, Improving the performance of cobalt-nickel hydroxide-based self-supporting electrodes for supercapacitors using accumulative approaches, Energy Environ. Sci., vol 6 no. 11 (2013), pp. 3314-3321 [10.1039/c3ee41143e] [abs].