Katherine J. Franz
Chair of the Department of Chemistry
Research in the Franz group is involved in elucidating the structural and functional consequences of metal ion coordination in biological systems. We are particularly interested in understanding the coordination chemistry utilized by biology to manage essential yet toxic species like copper and iron. Understanding these principles further guides our development of new chemical tools to manipulate biological metal ion location, speciation, and reactivity for potential therapeutic benefit. We use a combination of synthesis, spectroscopy, and biochemistry in our work. Please visit our group website to learn more about our research.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Chair of the Department of Chemistry
- Professor in the Department of Chemistry
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 2103 French Science Center, 124 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1541
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2000
- B.A. Wellesley College, 1995
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Sloan Research Fellowship-Chemistry. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 2008
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2005
- CHEM 393: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 394: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 493: Research Independent Study
- CHEM 494: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Trinity College Honors 11 for Teaching, Leadership, Diversity (Apr 17, 2020)
- Professors, Alumna Honored by American Chemical Society (Aug 27, 2019)
- Not Your Mama's Chem Lab: Energy Science in the French Center Basement (Nov 22, 2013 | Duke Research Blog)
- Hunsaker, EW; McAuliffe, KJ; Franz, KJ, Fluconazole analogues with metal-binding motifs impact metal-dependent processes and demonstrate antifungal activity in Candida albicans., Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry : Jbic : a Publication of the Society of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, vol 25 no. 5 (2020), pp. 729-745 [10.1007/s00775-020-01796-x] [abs].
- Jackson, AC; Zaengle-Barone, JM; Puccio, EA; Franz, KJ, A Cephalosporin Prochelator Inhibits New Delhi Metallo-β-lactamase 1 without Removing Zinc., Acs Infectious Diseases, vol 6 no. 5 (2020), pp. 1264-1272 [10.1021/acsinfecdis.0c00083] [abs].
- Gallo, AD; Franz, KJ, Grab 'n Go: Siderophore-Binding Proteins Provide Pathogens a Quick Fix to Satisfy Their Hunger for Iron., Acs Central Science, vol 6 no. 4 (2020), pp. 456-458 [10.1021/acscentsci.0c00179] [abs].
- Garcia-Santamarina, S; Probst, C; Festa, RA; Ding, C; Smith, AD; Conklin, SE; Brander, S; Kinch, LN; Grishin, NV; Franz, KJ; Riggs-Gelasco, P; Lo Leggio, L; Johansen, KS; Thiele, DJ, A lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase-like protein functions in fungal copper import and meningitis., Nature Chemical Biology, vol 16 no. 3 (2020), pp. 337-344 [10.1038/s41589-019-0437-9] [abs].