Katherine Schuver Garman
Associate Professor of Medicine
My research focuses on injury, repair, and cancer development in the gastrointestinal tract. My laboratory performs translational research with the goal of improving health of the gastrointestinal tract. Our work is based in observations from human clinical research. We use databases of esophageal and colon disease to learn more about clinical risk factors for disease. We also use pathology samples of tumors to study the gastrointestinal tract in different states: healthy, inflamed or damaged, and with cancer.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: Dept of Medicine, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1205
- Duke University, 2009
- Duke University School of Medicine, 2007
- Duke University, 2006
- Duke University, 2005
- M.D. Duke University, 2002
- Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network,, Comprehensive molecular characterization of gastric adenocarcinoma., Nature, vol 513 no. 7517 (2014), pp. 202-209 [10.1038/nature13480] [abs].
- Karaca, G; Swiderska-Syn, M; Xie, G; Syn, W-K; Krüger, L; Machado, MV; Garman, K; Choi, SS; Michelotti, GA; Burkly, LC; Ochoa, B; Diehl, AM, TWEAK/Fn14 signaling is required for liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy in mice., Plos One, vol 9 no. 1 (2014) [10.1371/journal.pone.0083987] [abs].
- , MicroRNA expression differentiates squamous epithelium from barrett's esophagus and esophageal cancer, Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol 58 no. 11 (2013), pp. 3178-3188 [10.1007/s10620-013-2806-7] [abs].
- Fang, Y; Chen, X; Bajpai, M; Verma, A; Das, KM; Souza, RF; Garman, KS; Donohoe, CL; O'Farrell, NJ; Reynolds, JV; Dvorak, K, Cellular origins and molecular mechanisms of Barrett's esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma., Ann N Y Acad Sci, vol 1300 (2013), pp. 187-199 [10.1111/nyas.12249] [abs].
- Peery, AF; Hoppo, T; Garman, KS; Dellon, ES; Daugherty, N; Bream, S; Sanz, AF; Davison, J; Spacek, M; Connors, D; Faulx, AL; Chak, A; Luketich, JD; Shaheen, NJ; Jobe, BA, Feasibility, safety, acceptability, and yield of office-based, screening transnasal esophagoscopy (with video), Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol 75 no. 5 (2012), pp. 945-953.e2 [10.1016/j.gie.2012.01.021] [abs].
- Garman, KS; Shaheen, NJ, Ablative therapies for Barrett's esophagus., Curr Gastroenterol Rep, vol 13 no. 3 (2011), pp. 226-239 [10.1007/s11894-011-0182-z] [abs].
- , Colorectal Cancer Screening (2010), pp. 212-218 [10.1002/9781444328417.ch31] [abs].
- Tempelhof, MW; Garman, KS; Langman, MK; Adams, MB, Leveraging time and learning style, iPod vs. realtime attendance at a series of medicine residents conferences: a randomised controlled trial., Informatics in Primary Care, vol 17 no. 2 (2009), pp. 87-94 [abs].