Russell P. Hall
J. Lamar Callaway Distinguished Professor of Dermatology, in the School of Medicine
Our laboratory is investigating the pathogenesis of autoimmune blistering skin diseases. Areas of special expertise include immune mediated skin diseases, especially immune mediated primary blistering disorders. These include pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management.
Specifically our laboratory is investigating the role of the mucosal immune response in the pathogenesis of dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) and the role the associated gluten sensitive enteropathy (GSE) plays in the development of this disease. Studies are currently focused on understanding the systemic manifestations of the mucosal immune response to dietary ingestion of wheat proteins in patients with DH. Studies are directed at determining the pattern of cytokine activation and inflammatory cell activation in the gut, skin and circulation. These studies are focused on understanding the manner in which gastrointestinal inflammation leads to the development of skin lesions in patients with DH and will provide new insight into the pathogenesis of the numerous skin diseases associated with inflammatory gastrointestinal disease.
In addition, our laboratory is investigating the pathogenesis of the organ specific auto immune blistering diseases bullous pemphigoid, and pemphigus vulgaris. These studies are directed at understanding auto-antibody epitopes and their relationship to disease activity and the role of B cells in the development and maintaince of auto-antibodies. Clinical trials are ongoing in both pemphigus and bullous pemphigoid that are coupled with mechanistic studies.
Appointments and Affiliations
- J. Lamar Callaway Distinguished Professor of Dermatology, in the School of Medicine
- Chairman, Department of Dermatology
- Professor of Dermatology
- Professor of Immunology
- Office Location: 4044 Hosp South, Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-3110
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1982
- Clinical Center National Institutes of Health, 1981
- University of Missouri, Columbia School of Medicine, 1978
- University of Missouri, Columbia School of Medicine, 1977
- Saint Louis University, 1976
- M.D. University of Missouri, Columbia, 1975
- B.A. Westminster College, 1971
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Lifetime Acheivement Award. Medical Dermatology Society. 2017
- Suarez, EC; Boyle, SH; Lewis, JG; Hall, RP; Young, KH, Increases in stimulated secretion of proinflammatory cytokines by blood monocytes following arousal of negative affect: the role of insulin resistance as moderator., Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol 20 no. 4 (2006), pp. 331-338 [10.1016/j.bbi.2005.09.005] [abs].
- Hall, RP; Takeuchi, F; Benbenisty, KM; Streilein, RD, Cutaneous endothelial cell activation in normal skin of patients with dermatitis herpetiformis associated with increased serum levels of IL-8, sE-Selectin, and TNF-alpha., Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol 126 no. 6 (2006), pp. 1331-1337 [10.1038/sj.jid.5700277] [abs].
- Kong, HH; Prose, NS; Ware, RE; Hall, RP, Successful treatment of refractory childhood pemphgus vulgaris with anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody (rituximab)., Pediatric Dermatology, vol 22 no. 5 (2005), pp. 461-464 [10.1111/j.1525-1470.2005.00118.x] [abs].
- Whited, JD; Hall, RP; Foy, ME; Marbrey, LE; Grambow, SC; Dudley, TK; Datta, SK; Simel, DL; Oddone, EZ, Patient and clinician satisfaction with a store-and-forward teledermatology consult system., Telemedicine Journal and E Health : the Official Journal of the American Telemedicine Association, vol 10 no. 4 (2004), pp. 422-431 [10.1089/tmj.2004.10.422] [abs].
- Takeuchi, F; Sterilein, RD; Hall, RP, Increased E-selectin, IL-8 and IL-10 gene expression in human skin after minimal trauma., Experimental Dermatology, vol 12 no. 6 (2003), pp. 777-783 [10.1111/j.0906-6705.2003.00088.x] [abs].
- Smith, AD; Streilein, RD; Hall, RP, Neutrophil CD11b, L-selectin and Fc IgA receptors in patients with dermatitis herpetiformis., The British Journal of Dermatology, vol 147 no. 6 (2002), pp. 1109-1117 [10.1046/j.1365-2133.2002.05004.x] [abs].
- Szabolcs, P; Reese, M; Yancey, KB; Hall, RP; Kurtzberg, J, Combination treatment of bullous pemphigoid with anti-CD20 and anti-CD25 antibodies in a patient with chronic graft-versus-host disease., Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol 30 no. 5 (2002), pp. 327-329 [10.1038/sj.bmt.1703654] [abs].
- Hall, RP; Smith, AD; Streilein, RD, Increased production of IL-4 by gut T-cell lines from patients with dermatitis herpetiformis compared to patients with isolated gluten-sensitive enteropathy., Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol 45 no. 10 (2000), pp. 2036-2043 [10.1023/a:1005512513007] [abs].
- Hall, RP; Owen, S; Smith, A; Keough, M; Bagheri, B; Church, P; Streilein, R, TCR Vbeta expression in the small bowel of patients with dermatitis herpetiformis and gluten sensitive enteropathy. Limited expression in dermatitis herpetiformis and treated asymptomatic gluten sensitive enteropathy., Experimental Dermatology, vol 9 no. 4 (2000), pp. 275-282 [10.1034/j.1600-0625.2000.009004275.x] [abs].
- Roh, JY; Yee, C; Lazarova, Z; Hall, RP; Yancey, KB, The 120-kDa soluble ectodomain of type XVII collagen is recognized by autoantibodies in patients with pemphigoid and linear IgA dermatosis., The British Journal of Dermatology, vol 143 no. 1 (2000), pp. 104-111 [10.1046/j.1365-2133.2000.03598.x] [abs].
- Smith, AD; Bagheri, B; Streilein, RD; Hall, RP, Expression of interleukin-4 and interferon-gamma in the small bowel of patients with dermatitis herpetiformis and isolated gluten-sensitive enteropathy., Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol 44 no. 10 (1999), pp. 2124-2132 [10.1023/a:1026699108147] [abs].
- Rico, MJ; Benning, C; Weingart, ES; Streilein, RD; Hall, RP, Characterization of skin cytokines in bullous pemphigoid and pemphigus vulgaris., The British Journal of Dermatology, vol 140 no. 6 (1999), pp. 1079-1086 [10.1046/j.1365-2133.1999.02907.x] [abs].
- Ishii, K; Amagai, M; Hall, RP; Hashimoto, T; Takayanagi, A; Gamou, S; Shimizu, N; Nishikawa, T, Characterization of autoantibodies in pemphigus using antigen-specific enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays with baculovirus-expressed recombinant desmogleins., The Journal of Immunology, vol 159 no. 4 (1997), pp. 2010-2017 [abs].
- Rico, MJ; Hashimototo, T; Watanabe, K; Hall, RP; Clark, RB; Nishikawa, T, Comparative epitope mapping of sera from United States (US) and Japanese patients with bullous pemphigoid (BP) to fusion proteins encoded by BPAG1., Journal of Dermatological Science, vol 12 no. 3 (1996), pp. 238-245 [10.1016/0923-1811(95)00479-3] [abs].