Associate Professor of Biology
My laboratory is interested in the early signaling events by which plants sense environmental signals and decode to give the appropriate responses. Upon perception of external signals, cell surface receptors trigger an increase in cytosolic free calcium concentration, which is mediated by ion channels. Our long-term goals are to identify these receptors and ion channels, isolate their interacting components, and assign molecular functions to them. Currently, we are using multidisciplinary approaches of biophysics, biochemistry, cell biology, molecular genetics, and function genomics to dissect the signaling cascades of external calcium as well as nitric oxide in the model plant Arabidopsis.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Biology
- Office Location: 3102 Ffsc, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-1000
- Office Phone: (919) 613-8152
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Shanghai Institute of Plant Physiology (China), 1993
- M.S. Fudan University (China), 1990
- B.S. Lanzhou University (China), 1985
- BIOLOGY 213D: Cell Signaling and Diseases
- BIOLOGY 293: Research Independent Study
- BIOLOGY 412S: Sensory Signal Transduction
- BIOLOGY 493: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Water 'thermostat' could help engineer drought-resistant crops (Aug 28, 2014 | Ag Professional)
- Water ‘Thermostat’ Could Help Engineer Drought-Resistant Crops (Aug 27, 2014)
- Wu, X; Yuan, F; Wang, X; Zhu, S; Pei, Z-M, Evolution of osmosensing OSCA1 Ca2+ channel family coincident with plant transition from water to land., The Plant Genome Journal (2022) [10.1002/tpg2.20198] [abs].
- Chi, Y; Wang, C; Wang, M; Wan, D; Huang, F; Jiang, Z; Crawford, BM; Vo-Dinh, T; Yuan, F; Wu, F; Pei, Z-M, Flg22-induced Ca2+ increases undergo desensitization and resensitization., Plant, Cell & Environment, vol 44 no. 12 (2021), pp. 3563-3575 [10.1111/pce.14186] [abs].
- Jacob, P; Kim, NH; Wu, F; El-Kasmi, F; Chi, Y; Walton, WG; Furzer, OJ; Lietzan, AD; Sunil, S; Kempthorn, K; Redinbo, MR; Pei, Z-M; Wan, L; Dangl, JL, Plant "helper" immune receptors are Ca2+-permeable nonselective cation channels., Science (New York, N.Y.), vol 373 no. 6553 (2021), pp. 420-425 [10.1126/science.abg7917] [abs].
- Zhang, S; Wu, QR; Zhang, HM; Pei, ZM; Gao, JW, Genome-wide identification and transcriptomic data exploring of the cytochrome P450 family in Chinese cabbage (Brassica rapa L. ssp. pekinensis), Journal of Plant Interactions, vol 16 no. 1 (2021), pp. 136-155 [10.1080/17429145.2021.1909761] [abs].
- Zhang, S; Wu, Q-R; Liu, L-L; Zhang, H-M; Gao, J-W; Pei, Z-M, Osmotic stress alters circadian cytosolic Ca2+ oscillations and OSCA1 is required in circadian gated stress adaptation., Plant Signaling & Behavior, vol 15 no. 12 (2020) [10.1080/15592324.2020.1836883] [abs].