Richard A. Palmer
Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
Dr. Palmer's research interests span the areas of analytical, inorganic and physical chemistry. Current projects involve the use of FTIR spectroscopy in the investigation of dynamic processes on the nanosecond to millisecond time scale. Included are nanosecond studies of photoexcited states in metalloproteins and other metal complexes, rheo-optical measurements of the sub-molecular dynamics of polymer films perturbed by mechanical fields and development of fiber optic-based photothermal spectral detection for materials and biomedical applications.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
- Office Location: 3236 French Family Science Cen, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1539
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Illinois, 1965
- M.S. University of Illinois, 1962
- B.S. University of Texas, Austin, 1957
- Schoonover, JR; Steckle, WP; Cox, JD; Johnston, CT; Wang, Y; Gillikin, AM; Palmer, RA, Humidity-dependent dynamic infrared linear dichroism study of a poly(ester urethane)., Spectrochimica Acta. Part A, Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, vol 67 no. 1 (2007), pp. 208-213 [10.1016/j.saa.2006.07.015] [abs].
- Wang, L; Chapman, J; Palmer, RA; van Ramm, O; Mizaikoff, B, Classification of atherosclerotic rabbit aorta samples by mid-infrared spectroscopy using multivariate data analysis., Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol 12 no. 2 (2007) [10.1117/1.2714030] [abs].
- Wang, Y; Palmer, RA; Schoonover, JR; Aubuchon, SR, Dynamic mechanical analysis and dynamic infrared linear dichroism study of the frequency-dependent viscoelastic behavior of a poly(ester urethane), Vibrational Spectroscopy, vol 42 no. 1 (2006), pp. 74-77 [10.1016/j.vibspec.2006.04.017] [abs].
- Wang, L; Chapman, J; Palmer, RA; Alter, TM; Hooper, BA; van Ramm, O; Mizaikoff, B, Classification of atherosclerotic rabbit aorta samples with an infrared attenuated total reflection catheter and multivariate data analysis., Applied Spectroscopy, vol 60 no. 10 (2006), pp. 1121-1126 [10.1366/000370206778664608] [abs].
- Wang, Y; Aubuchon, SR; Schoonover, JR; Palmer, RA, Relative quantification of dynamic infrared linear dichroism signals and their relation to thermomechanical properties, Spectroscopy Letters, vol 38 no. 6 (2005), pp. 809-824 [10.1080/00387010500316155] [abs].