Ryan P McNabb
Medical Instructor in the Department of Ophthalmology
Dr. McNabb is an engineer by training with a research focus on combining optical coherence tomography (OCT) and robots for use in the ophthalmology clinic. He recently joined the Department of Ophthalmology faculty after post-doctoral training and serving as a lead Research Scientist under Dr. Anthony Kuo at the Duke Eye Center.
He enjoys working closely with clinicians to combine technology and medicine. He is the principal investigator on an NIH R21 grant for “Assistive Robotically Aligning OCT and Laser Photocoagulation Therapy of the Retinal Periphery” in collaboration with Dr. Cynthia Toth. This grant will develop robotically aligned OCT to locate suspected retinal breaks in a patient’s peripheral retina before they can become vision threating detachments.
McNabb earned his B.S. from North Carolina State University in Electrical Engineering and completed his doctoral training at Duke University in the Department of Biomedical Engineering under the mentorship of Prof. Joseph Izatt.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Medical Instructor in the Department of Ophthalmology
- Office Location: DUMC 2351 Erwin Rd., Durham, NC 27710
- Office Phone: (919) 684-9872
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Duke University, 2013
- McNabb, RP; Grewal, DS; Mehta, R; Schuman, SG; Izatt, JA; Mahmoud, TH; Jaffe, GJ; Mruthyunjaya, P; Kuo, AN, Wide field of view swept-source optical coherence tomography for peripheral retinal disease., British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol 100 no. 10 (2016), pp. 1377-1382 [10.1136/bjophthalmol-2015-307480] [abs].
- McNabb, RP; Blanco, T; Bomze, HM; Tseng, HC; Saban, DR; Izatt, JA; Kuo, AN, Method for single illumination source combined optical coherence tomography and fluorescence imaging of fluorescently labeled ocular structures in transgenic mice., Exp Eye Res, vol 151 (2016), pp. 68-74 [10.1016/j.exer.2016.08.003] [abs].
- Kuo, AN; Verkicharla, PK; McNabb, RP; Cheung, CY; Hilal, S; Farsiu, S; Chen, C; Wong, TY; Ikram, MK; Cheng, CY; Young, TL; Saw, SM; Izatt, JA, Posterior Eye Shape Measurement With Retinal OCT Compared to MRI., Investigative Opthalmology & Visual Science, vol 57 no. 9 (2016), pp. OCT196-OCT203 [10.1167/iovs.15-18886] [abs].
- McNabb, RP; Challa, P; Kuo, AN; Izatt, JA, Complete 360° circumferential gonioscopic optical coherence tomography imaging of the iridocorneal angle., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 6 no. 4 (2015), pp. 1376-1391 [10.1364/BOE.6.001376] [abs].
- McNabb, RP; Farsiu, S; Stinnett, SS; Izatt, JA; Kuo, AN, Optical coherence tomography accurately measures corneal power change from laser refractive surgery., Ophthalmology, vol 122 no. 4 (2015), pp. 677-686 [10.1016/j.ophtha.2014.10.003] [abs].
- Polans, J; Jaeken, B; McNabb, RP; Artal, P; Izatt, JA, Wide-field optical model of the human eye with asymmetrically tilted and decentered lens that reproduces measured ocular aberrations, Optica, vol 2 no. 2 (2015), pp. 124-134 [10.1364/OPTICA.2.000124] [abs].
- McNabb, RP; Kuo, AN; Izatt, JA, Quantitative single and multi-surface clinical corneal topography utilizing optical coherence tomography., Opt Lett, vol 38 no. 8 (2013), pp. 1212-1214 [10.1364/OL.38.001212] [abs].
- Hendargo, HC; McNabb, RP; Dhalla, A-H; Shepherd, N; Izatt, JA, Doppler velocity detection limitations in spectrometer-based versus swept-source optical coherence tomography., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 2 no. 8 (2011), pp. 2175-2188 [10.1364/BOE.2.002175] [abs].