Glenn Steven Edwards
Professor of Physics
Glenn Edwards investigates biological systems using a range of experimental techniques and theoretical methods from physics. His interests include Investigations of energy transduction where laser energy transforms into vibrational energy of biological molecules which then transforms into heat and pressure pulses that selectively drive tissue-scale dynamics. This line of research has led to human surgical applications of Free-Electron Lasers and spin-off laser technology. Another interest includes investigations of how biology harnesses physical mechanisms in biomechanical processes. This line of research investigates tissue dynamics and pattern formation during early development in Drosophila embryos.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Physics
- Office Location: French Family Science Center, 2314, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2674
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, 1984
- B.S. University of Maryland, College Park, 1978
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Physical Society. 2006
- PHYSICS 142L9D: General Physics II (Discussion)
- PHYSICS 142L: General Physics II
- Lo, W-C; Madrak, C; Kiehart, DP; Edwards, GS, Unified biophysical mechanism for cell-shape oscillations and cell ingression., Physical Review. E, vol 97 no. 6-1 (2018) [10.1103/physreve.97.062414] [abs].
- Kiehart, DP; Crawford, JM; Aristotelous, A; Venakides, S; Edwards, GS, Cell Sheet Morphogenesis: Dorsal Closure in Drosophila melanogaster as a Model System., Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol 33 (2017), pp. 169-202 [10.1146/annurev-cellbio-111315-125357] [abs].
- Lu, H; Sokolow, A; Kiehart, DP; Edwards, GS, Quantifying dorsal closure in three dimensions., Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol 27 no. 25 (2016), pp. 3948-3955 [10.1091/mbc.e16-06-0400] [abs].
- Lu, H; Sokolow, A; Kiehart, DP; Edwards, GS, Remodeling Tissue Interfaces and the Thermodynamics of Zipping during Dorsal Closure in Drosophila., Biophysical Journal, vol 109 no. 11 (2015), pp. 2406-2417 [10.1016/j.bpj.2015.10.017] [abs].
- Wells, AR; Zou, RS; Tulu, US; Sokolow, AC; Crawford, JM; Edwards, GS; Kiehart, DP, Complete canthi removal reveals that forces from the amnioserosa alone are sufficient to drive dorsal closure in Drosophila., Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol 25 no. 22 (2014), pp. 3552-3568 [10.1091/mbc.e14-07-1190] [abs].