Professor of Mathematics
Jianfeng Lu is an applied mathematician interested in mathematical analysis and algorithm development for problems from computational physics, theoretical chemistry, materials science and other related fields.
More specifically, his current research focuses include:
Electronic structure and many body problems; quantum molecular dynamics; multiscale modeling and analysis; rare events and sampling techniques.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Mathematics
- Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Professor of Physics
- Office Location: 242 Physics Bldg, 120 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2875
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Princeton University, 2009
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- IMA Prize in Mathematics and its Applications. Institute of Mathematics and its Applications. 2017
- CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2015
- Sloan Research Fellowship. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. 2013
- Porter Ogden Jacobus Fellowship. Princeton University. 2008
- MATH 394: Research Independent Study
- MATH 493: Research Independent Study
- MATH 494: Research Independent Study
- MATH 631: Measure and Integration
- MATH 660: Numerical Partial Differential Equations
- MATH 690-60: Topics in Numerical Methods
- MATH 690-70: Topics in Applied Mathematics
- PHYSICS 590: Selected Topics in Theoretical Physics
In the News
- Pratt Researchers to Harness Computational Power to Solve Time-Intensive Calculations (Jul 10, 2015)
- Sloan Foundation Names Charbonneau, Lu as 2013 Research Fellows (Feb 15, 2013)
- Lu, J; Wang, M, Neural Network Based Variational Methods for Solving Quadratic Porous
Medium Equations in High Dimensions (2022) [abs].
- Cai, Z; Fang, D; Lu, J, Asymptotic analysis of diabatic surface hopping algorithm in the
adiabatic and non-adiabatic limits (2022) [abs].
- Lu, J; Stubbs, KD; Watson, AB, Existence and Computation of Generalized Wannier Functions for Non-Periodic Systems in Two Dimensions and Higher, Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, vol 243 no. 3 (2022), pp. 1269-1323 [10.1007/s00205-021-01721-9] [abs].
- Cai, Z; Lu, J; Yang, S, Fast Algorithms of Bath Calculations in Simulations of Quantum
System-Bath Dynamics (2022) [abs].
- Lu, J; Marzuola, JL; Watson, AB, Defect Resonances of Truncated Crystal Structures, Siam Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol 82 no. 1 (2022), pp. 49-74 [10.1137/21m1415601] [abs].