Geoffrey Steven Ginsburg
Adjunct Professor in the Department of Medicine
Dr. Geoffrey S. Ginsburg's research interests are in the development of novel paradigms for developing and translating genomic information into medical practice and the integration of personalized medicine into health care.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Professor in the Department of Medicine
- Professor in Pathology
- Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
- Professor in the School of Nursing
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 101 Science Dr, Rm 2111, CIEMAS Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 668-6210
- Children's Hospital Boston, 1990
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 1990
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 1987
- Ph.D. Boston University, 1984
- M.D. Boston University, 1984
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
In the News
- A Combination of Family History and Genomic Screening Provides Best Method of Assessing Cancer Risk (Mar 16, 2021 | Precision Medicine)
- Early Detection of COVID-19: How Your Smartwatch Could Help (Aug 25, 2020 | Duke Magnify)
- A Crystal Ball for the Decade Ahead (Jan 9, 2020)
- Hungry for Innovation: How a MEDx Dinner Led to a Newly Patented Medical Tool (Aug 21, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Fecal Matters: Learning About Health Through Waste (Jan 10, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Medical Researchers Receive $20 Million in Grants for Genomic Medicine and Breast Cancer Research (Nov 1, 2018 | Duke Health News)
- Proteins in Your Runny Nose Could Reveal a Viral Infection (Feb 22, 2017 | Duke Health News)
- Time to Focus on Your Family Health History (Dec 15, 2015)
- Dr. Geoffrey Ginsburg: The evolution of precision medicine (Oct 21, 2015 | U.S. News & World Report)
- Diagnostic developers target antibiotic resistance (Oct 20, 2015 | Nature)
- Bacterial or Viral? Diagnostic Tool May Help Doctors Track Infection Source (Oct 11, 2015)
- Ginsburg Named Director of School of Medicine-Pratt School Partnership (Aug 10, 2015)
- A fruit billionaire tries to rewrite the textbook on medicine (Jun 20, 2014 | Newsweek)
- Duke Announces Reorganization of Genome Sciences (Mar 24, 2014)
- Blood test can determine whether illness is caused by virus or bacteria (Sep 19, 2013 | CBS News, AP)
- Genomic Test Accurately Sorts Viral vs. Bacterial Infections (Sep 18, 2013)
- Is Aspirin Therapy for You? (Jul 7, 2013)
- Manolio, TA; Abramowicz, M; Al-Mulla, F; Anderson, W; Balling, R; Berger, AC; Bleyl, S; Chakravarti, A; Chantratita, W; Chisholm, RL; Dissanayake, VHW; Dunn, M; Dzau, VJ; Han, B-G; Hubbard, T; Kolbe, A; Korf, B; Kubo, M; Lasko, P; Leego, E; Mahasirimongkol, S; Majumdar, PP; Matthijs, G; McLeod, HL; Metspalu, A; Meulien, P; Miyano, S; Naparstek, Y; O'Rourke, PP; Patrinos, GP; Rehm, HL; Relling, MV; Rennert, G; Rodriguez, LL; Roden, DM; Shuldiner, AR; Sinha, S; Tan, P; Ulfendahl, M; Ward, R; Williams, MS; Wong, JEL; Green, ED; Ginsburg, GS, Global implementation of genomic medicine: We are not alone., Sci Transl Med, vol 7 no. 290 (2015) [10.1126/scitranslmed.aab0194] [abs].
- Dzau, VJ; Ginsburg, GS; Van Nuys, K; Agus, D; Goldman, D, Aligning incentives to fulfil the promise of personalised medicine., Lancet, vol 385 no. 9982 (2015), pp. 2118-2119 [10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60722-X] [abs].
- Benjamin, AM; Nichols, M; Burke, TW; Ginsburg, GS; Lucas, JE, Comparing reference-based RNA-Seq mapping methods for non-human primate data., Bmc Genomics, vol 15 no. 1 (2014) [10.1186/1471-2164-15-570] [abs].
- Kraft, BD; Piantadosi, CA; Benjamin, AM; Lucas, JE; Zaas, AK; Betancourt-Quiroz, M; Woods, CW; Chang, AL; Roggli, VL; Marshall, CD; Ginsburg, GS; Welty-Wolf, K, Development of a novel preclinical model of pneumococcal pneumonia in nonhuman primates., Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol, vol 50 no. 5 (2014), pp. 995-1004 [10.1165/rcmb.2013-0340OC] [abs].
- Ngo, HT; Wang, H-N; Burke, T; Ginsburg, GS; Vo-Dinh, T, Multiplex detection of disease biomarkers using SERS molecular sentinel-on-chip., Anal Bioanal Chem, vol 406 no. 14 (2014), pp. 3335-3344 [10.1007/s00216-014-7648-4] [abs].
- Power, A; Berger, AC; Ginsburg, GS, Genomics-enabled drug repositioning and repurposing: insights from an IOM Roundtable activity., Jama, vol 311 no. 20 (2014), pp. 2063-2064 [10.1001/jama.2014.3002] [abs].
- Ginsburg, G, Medical genomics: Gather and use genetic data in health care., Nature, vol 508 no. 7497 (2014), pp. 451-453 [10.1038/508451a] [abs].
- Tsalik, EL; Langley, RJ; Dinwiddie, DL; Miller, NA; Yoo, B; van Velkinburgh, JC; Smith, LD; Thiffault, I; Jaehne, AK; Valente, AM; Henao, R; Yuan, X; Glickman, SW; Rice, BJ; McClain, MT; Carin, L; Corey, GR; Ginsburg, GS; Cairns, CB; Otero, RM; Fowler, VG; Rivers, EP; Woods, CW; Kingsmore, SF, An integrated transcriptome and expressed variant analysis of sepsis survival and death., Genome Medicine, vol 6 no. 11 (2014) [10.1186/s13073-014-0111-5] [abs].
- Voora, D; Cyr, D; Lucas, J; Chi, J-T; Dungan, J; McCaffrey, TA; Katz, R; Newby, LK; Kraus, WE; Becker, RC; Ortel, TL; Ginsburg, GS, Aspirin exposure reveals novel genes associated with platelet function and cardiovascular events., J Am Coll Cardiol, vol 62 no. 14 (2013), pp. 1267-1276 [10.1016/j.jacc.2013.05.073] [abs].
- Zaas, AK; Burke, T; Chen, M; McClain, M; Nicholson, B; Veldman, T; Tsalik, EL; Fowler, V; Rivers, EP; Otero, R; Kingsmore, SF; Voora, D; Lucas, J; Hero, AO; Carin, L; Woods, CW; Ginsburg, GS, A host-based RT-PCR gene expression signature to identify acute respiratory viral infection., Sci Transl Med, vol 5 no. 203 (2013) [10.1126/scitranslmed.3006280] [abs].
- Langley, RJ; Tsalik, EL; van Velkinburgh, JC; Glickman, SW; Rice, BJ; Wang, C; Chen, B; Carin, L; Suarez, A; Mohney, RP; Freeman, DH; Wang, M; You, J; Wulff, J; Thompson, JW; Moseley, MA; Reisinger, S; Edmonds, BT; Grinnell, B; Nelson, DR; Dinwiddie, DL; Miller, NA; Saunders, CJ; Soden, SS; Rogers, AJ; Gazourian, L; Fredenburgh, LE; Massaro, AF; Baron, RM; Choi, AMK; Corey, GR; Ginsburg, GS; Cairns, CB; Otero, RM; Fowler, VG; Rivers, EP; Woods, CW; Kingsmore, SF, An integrated clinico-metabolomic model improves prediction of death in sepsis., Sci Transl Med, vol 5 no. 195 (2013) [10.1126/scitranslmed.3005893] [abs].
- Wang, H-N; Fales, AM; Zaas, AK; Woods, CW; Burke, T; Ginsburg, GS; Vo-Dinh, T, Surface-enhanced Raman scattering molecular sentinel nanoprobes for viral infection diagnostics., Anal Chim Acta, vol 786 (2013), pp. 153-158 [10.1016/j.aca.2013.05.017] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS, Realizing the opportunities of genomics in health care., Jama, vol 309 no. 14 (2013), pp. 1463-1464 [10.1001/jama.2013.1465] [abs].
- Khoury, MJ; Lam, TK; Ioannidis, JPA; Hartge, P; Spitz, MR; Buring, JE; Chanock, SJ; Croyle, RT; Goddard, KA; Ginsburg, GS; Herceg, Z; Hiatt, RA; Hoover, RN; Hunter, DJ; Kramer, BS; Lauer, MS; Meyerhardt, JA; Olopade, OI; Palmer, JR; Sellers, TA; Seminara, D; Ransohoff, DF; Rebbeck, TR; Tourassi, G; Winn, DM; Zauber, A; Schully, SD, Transforming epidemiology for 21st century medicine and public health., Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, vol 22 no. 4 (2013), pp. 508-516 [10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-13-0146] [abs].
- Henao, R; Murray, J; Ginsburg, G; Carin, L; Lucas, JE, Patient clustering with uncoded text in electronic medical records., Amia ... Annual Symposium Proceedings. Amia Symposium, vol 2013 (2013), pp. 592-599 [abs].
- Orlando, LA; Buchanan, AH; Hahn, SE; Christianson, CA; Powell, KP; Skinner, CS; Chesnut, B; Blach, C; Due, B; Ginsburg, GS; Henrich, VC, Development and validation of a primary care-based family health history and decision support program (MeTree)., North Carolina Medical Journal, vol 74 no. 4 (2013), pp. 287-296 [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Kuderer, NM, Comparative effectiveness research, genomics-enabled personalized medicine, and rapid learning health care: a common bond., Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol 30 no. 34 (2012), pp. 4233-4242 [10.1200/JCO.2012.42.6114] [abs].
- Zarco, MF; Vess, TJ; Ginsburg, GS, The oral microbiome in health and disease and the potential impact on personalized dental medicine., Oral Dis, vol 18 no. 2 (2012), pp. 109-120 [10.1111/j.1601-0825.2011.01851.x] [abs].
- Orlando, LA; Hauser, ER; Christianson, C; Powell, KP; Buchanan, AH; Chesnut, B; Agbaje, AB; Henrich, VC; Ginsburg, G, Protocol for implementation of family health history collection and decision support into primary care using a computerized family health history system., Bmc Health Services Research, vol 11 (2011) [10.1186/1472-6963-11-264] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Staples, J; Abernethy, AP, Academic medical centers: ripe for rapid-learning personalized health care., Sci Transl Med, vol 3 no. 101 (2011) [10.1126/scitranslmed.3002386] [abs].
- Chen, M; Zaas, A; Woods, C; Ginsburg, GS; Lucas, J; Dunson, D; Carin, L, Predicting Viral Infection From High-Dimensional Biomarker Trajectories., Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol 106 no. 496 (2011), pp. 1259-1279 [10.1198/jasa.2011.ap10611] [abs].
- Chan, IS; Ginsburg, GS, Personalized medicine: progress and promise., Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet, vol 12 (2011), pp. 217-244 [10.1146/annurev-genom-082410-101446] [abs].
- Altshuler, JS; Balogh, E; Barker, AD; Eck, SL; Friend, SH; Ginsburg, GS; Herbst, RS; Nass, SJ; Streeter, CM; Wagner, JA, Opening up to precompetitive collaboration., Sci Transl Med, vol 2 no. 52 (2010) [10.1126/scitranslmed.3001515] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS, Regression of atherosclerosis with therapeutic antibodies pipe cleaner or pipe dream?, J Am Coll Cardiol, vol 50 no. 24 (2007), pp. 2319-2321 [10.1016/j.jacc.2007.08.039] [abs].
- Lugogo, NL; Ginsburg, GS; Que, LG, Genetic profiling and tailored therapy in asthma: are we there yet?, Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics, vol 9 no. 6 (2007), pp. 528-537 [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Shah, SH; McCarthy, JJ, Taking cardiovascular genetic association studies to the next level., J Am Coll Cardiol, vol 50 no. 10 (2007), pp. 930-932 [10.1016/j.jacc.2007.05.025] [abs].
- Parker, A; Izmailova, ES; Narang, J; Badola, S; Le, T; Roubenoff, R; Ginsburg, GS; Maier, A; Coblyn, JS; Shadick, NA; Weinblatt, ME, Peripheral blood expression of nuclear factor-kappab-regulated genes is associated with rheumatoid arthritis disease activity and responds differentially to anti-tumor necrosis factor-alpha versus methotrexate., The Journal of Rheumatology, vol 34 no. 9 (2007), pp. 1817-1822 [abs].
- Dressman, HK; Muramoto, GG; Chao, NJ; Meadows, S; Marshall, D; Ginsburg, GS; Nevins, JR; Chute, JP, Gene expression signatures that predict radiation exposure in mice and humans., Plos Medicine, vol 4 no. 4 (2007) [10.1371/journal.pmed.0040106] [abs].
- Dressman, HK; Berchuck, A; Chan, G; Zhai, J; Bild, A; Sayer, R; Cragun, J; Clarke, J; Whitaker, RS; Li, L; Gray, J; Marks, J; Ginsburg, GS; Potti, A; West, M; Nevins, JR; Lancaster, JM, An integrated genomic-based approach to individualized treatment of patients with advanced-stage ovarian cancer., Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol 25 no. 5 (2007), pp. 517-525 [10.1200/JCO.2006.06.3743] [abs].
- Potti, A; Dressman, HK; Bild, A; Riedel, RF; Chan, G; Sayer, R; Cragun, J; Cottrill, H; Kelley, MJ; Petersen, R; Harpole, D; Marks, J; Berchuck, A; Ginsburg, GS; Febbo, P; Lancaster, J; Nevins, JR, Genomic signatures to guide the use of chemotherapeutics., Nature Medicine, vol 12 no. 11 (2006), pp. 1294-1300 [10.1038/nm1491] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Seo, D; Frazier, C, Microarrays coming of age in cardiovascular medicine: standards, predictions, and biology., J Am Coll Cardiol, vol 48 no. 8 (2006), pp. 1618-1620 [10.1016/j.jacc.2006.07.025] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Angrist, M; Cook-Deegan, R, Public health. Genomics and medicine at a crossroads in Chernobyl., Science, vol 314 no. 5796 (2006), pp. 62-63 [10.1126/science.1130274] [abs].
- Stallings, SC; Huse, D; Finkelstein, SN; Crown, WH; Witt, WP; Maguire, J; Hiller, AJ; Sinskey, AJ; Ginsburg, GS, A framework to evaluate the economic impact of pharmacogenomics., Pharmacogenomics, vol 7 no. 6 (2006), pp. 853-862 [10.2217/146224188.8.131.523] [abs].
- Potti, A; Mukherjee, S; Petersen, R; Dressman, HK; Bild, A; Koontz, J; Kratzke, R; Watson, MA; Kelley, M; Ginsburg, GS; West, M; Harpole, DH; Nevins, JR, A genomic strategy to refine prognosis in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer., The New England Journal of Medicine, vol 355 no. 6 (2006), pp. 570-580 [10.1056/NEJMoa060467] [abs].
- Seo, D; Ginsburg, GS; Goldschmidt-Clermont, PJ, Gene expression analysis of cardiovascular diseases: novel insights into biology and clinical applications., J Am Coll Cardiol, vol 48 no. 2 (2006), pp. 227-235 [10.1016/j.jacc.2006.02.070] [abs].
- Haga, SB; Ginsburg, GS, Prescribing BiDil: is it black and white?, J Am Coll Cardiol, vol 48 no. 1 (2006), pp. 12-14 [10.1016/j.jacc.2006.04.017] [abs].
- Cotten, CM; Ginsburg, GS; Goldberg, RN; Speer, MC, Genomic analyses: a neonatology perspective., The Journal of Pediatrics, vol 148 no. 6 (2006), pp. 720-726 [10.1016/j.jpeds.2006.01.006] [abs].
- West, M; Ginsburg, GS; Huang, AT; Nevins, JR, Embracing the complexity of genomic data for personalized medicine., Genome Research, vol 16 no. 5 (2006), pp. 559-566 [10.1101/gr.3851306] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Haga, SB, Translating genomic biomarkers into clinically useful diagnostics., Expert Rev Mol Diagn, vol 6 no. 2 (2006), pp. 179-191 [10.1586/14737184.108.40.206] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Konstance, RP; Allsbrook, JS; Schulman, KA, Implications of pharmacogenomics for drug development and clinical practice., Archives of Internal Medicine, vol 165 no. 20 (2005), pp. 2331-2336 [10.1001/archinte.165.20.2331] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; Donahue, MP; Newby, LK, Prospects for personalized cardiovascular medicine: the impact of genomics., J Am Coll Cardiol, vol 46 no. 9 (2005), pp. 1615-1627 [10.1016/j.jacc.2005.06.075] [abs].
- Willard, HF; Angrist, M; Ginsburg, GS, Genomic medicine: genetic variation and its impact on the future of health care., Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences, vol 360 no. 1460 (2005), pp. 1543-1550 [10.1098/rstb.2005.1683] [abs].
- Seo, D; Ginsburg, GS, Genomic medicine: bringing biomarkers to clinical medicine., Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol 9 no. 4 (2005), pp. 381-386 [10.1016/j.cbpa.2005.06.009] [abs].
- Abrahams, E; Ginsburg, GS; Silver, M, The Personalized Medicine Coalition: goals and strategies., American Journal of Pharmacogenomics : Genomics Related Research in Drug Development and Clinical Practice, vol 5 no. 6 (2005), pp. 345-355 [10.2165/00129785-200505060-00002] [abs].
- Ross, JS; Schenkein, DP; Pietrusko, R; Rolfe, M; Linette, GP; Stec, J; Stagliano, NE; Ginsburg, GS; Symmans, WF; Pusztai, L; Hortobagyi, GN, Targeted therapies for cancer 2004., American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol 122 no. 4 (2004), pp. 598-609 [10.1309/5CWP-U41A-FR1V-YM3F] [abs].
- Ross, JS; Ginsburg, GS, Integration of molecular diagnostics with therapeutics: implications for drug discovery and patient care., Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics, vol 2 no. 6 (2002), pp. 531-541 [10.1586/14737220.127.116.111] [abs].
- Meyer, JM; Ginsburg, GS, The path to personalized medicine., Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol 6 no. 4 (2002), pp. 434-438 [10.1016/s1367-5931(02)00340-x] [abs].
- Ginsburg, GS; McCarthy, JJ, Personalized medicine: revolutionizing drug discovery and patient care., Trends in Biotechnology, vol 19 no. 12 (2001), pp. 491-496 [10.1016/s0167-7799(01)01814-5] [abs].